wheel bearing

longhaul08

please can anybody help? i have a 2001 (01) rang rover p38 and the rear o/s wheel bearing is on its way out, i wanted to know if i can just replace the bearing or does it have to be the whole hub? was told by someone that its the second option of changing the whole hub but that costs a lot compared to just the bearing so any advice would be very much appreciated. many thanks

LR suggests changing the entire hub assembly, but as you day that costs about 4 times as much as just the bearing.

However, getting the old bearing out can prove to be difficult if not impossible. I've tried it on 2 occasions, and each time a 20 ton press was not able to move it at all, even when heating it!

A small tip for removing bearing casings, run a bead of weld around the inside. This will cause it to shrink and come out a lot easier :)

G

I know that works well for conventional bearings, where you can take out the rollers and can weld directly to the outer ring. But the P38a uses preassembled bearing packs, very difficult to reach the outer sleeve and it is too long to shrink enough with just one bead of weld.

The procedure along with pics :) and part numbers to try is detailed over on rangerovers.net

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/drivetrain/hubs.html

as escape has said 20tons probably wont cut it you will need a 50-100 ton press :blink:

if you buy one there are another 3 wheel bearings and the bottom arm swivel ball jointy things on the front hubs which need this sort of grunt. Alternatively you could strip the hub assembly then take it to a friendly garage with a 50 ton press and some beer sheets?

HTH

Pete

The procedure along with pics :) and part numbers to try is detailed over on rangerovers.net

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/drivetrain/hubs.html

as escape has said 20tons probably wont cut it you will need a 50-100 ton press :blink:

if you buy one there are another 3 wheel bearings and the bottom arm swivel ball jointy things on the front hubs which need this sort of grunt. Alternatively you could strip the hub assembly then take it to a friendly garage with a 50 ton press and some beer sheets?

HTH

Pete

When I took it to a place with a bigger press, they wouldn't touch it for fear something else (i.e. the supporting part of the hub) would deform before the bearing came out... They did offer to cut it out using water jets, but by then I would be approaching the price of a new hub. So I ended up using one from a spare car and just before taking the Rangie to Ladoga decided to bite the buller and put 4 new hubs on, keeping the old ones as spares.