200tdi - wont Idle

JCB

It coughs and dies sometimes on idle - if you catch it in time it will rev. Sometimes it feels under power - not sure what it is. Have changed the fule filter and drained it - no water in it now. The blled nut has been opened and air comes out with the diesel. Done it a few times until air appears to stop, but problem persists.

I have under a 1/4 a tank of diesel - if this is any significance.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I had this happen on a Citroen 2.1 diesel I used to have and it turned out to be the rubber seal in the bottom of the fuel filter where you drain out the water from was perished. so it would bleed initially but then soon get air in it again.

dont know if that helps at all.

nathan

Update.

Filled the tank to just over half with diesel and the problem seems to have gone away!!

The problem was always worse when the car was facing up or down hill - so something to do with the gubbins in the Tank I think - anybody any exeperience of this?

i've heard of problems where the pipes on top of the tank rot & allow it to suck air in. i guess lower fuel levels will make it suck more air as its harder to lift the fuel.

i think its just the elbow in the pipe right on top of the sender unit that tend to fail. so take the round plate out of the boot floor & wrap the pipes in selfalmagmating tape, see if that cures it.

• 3 weeks later...