From series to defender wiper switches

Haulie

I am looking for some information please. I have used the search option but not found any matches. Can the wiper, indicator and headlamp switchgear be changed in my 200tdi powered Series 2a from series to defender switches. If it can which switches would be best to be used?

Thanks

Haulie

The wiring well be very different to a 2a - where even indicators were optional It can be done - I had a 2a with Montego stalks on it - but if you're phased by electrics - don't do it.

I assume you have the flexible drive wipers with the motor behind the cover at the end of the dash. If you haven't and have the 2 separate motors - the wipers will be a waste of time as the separate motors don't self park and all you'll be able to control is on and off. Converting to the later system isn't that easy either. (S3 ones come out of the bulkkhead top rather than the screen - not sure about late 2a.)

Well I run them so the simple answer is yes - if you can understand a wiring diagram anything is possible.

However be aware that the series steering column is a different diamter (smaller) than a defender one so you'll need to pack it out somehow to mount it to the column. This wasnt a problem to me as I run a defender column as I run PAS.

The defender column is also about 2" longer than a series one, the extra distance being between the ignition barrel and the steering wheel. Because of that you'll not be able to use a defender column shroud.

You can wire in the defender wash/wipe module so that also gives you intermittent wipe and makes the wipers wipe automatically when the washers are pressed. Its all easy enough if you can follow a wiring diagram.

I didnt keep any notes of photos, so you'll have to work it out for yourself. The plugs are totally different so you have to cut them off and reconnect the wires as necessary.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...