Disco VS Def FIP

ajh

Since I don't have access to a Disco 200TDI to compare, how different is the injection pump from the Defender one? (how LR thought making two different engine configurations was a good idea and cost-effective is a good example of why there aren't too many brands left....) I gather they're not interchangable.

I cannot be certain of interchangeability, but the two part numbers ERR1333 defender, and err459 discovery is most likely down purely to how they are set up , to allow for the power delivery characteristics , esp in view of turbo mounting differences between disco and defender . It is highly unlikely that there is any physical difference , as you mention , it would not be logical from cost/engineering pov .

I have never heard of anyone saying that they have been unable to fit pump from one to another .

Which leaves me wondering... why the price gap. I've more or less worked out tuning the things from first principles so a different starting tune isn't an issue. A reasonable price for a brand new pump though...