200 Tdi engine - Defender v Disco

DJB1140

The 200Tdi in my Defender is beyond repair, so I am replacing it with a unit from a Disco. I want to keep the original confiruration so have swapped the front end (timing case etc) and manifolds. So far so good. But now I look in detail at the back end I can see diferences in the mounting to the gearbox. On the Defender there are studs of the same size spaced roughly equally around the casing. But on the Disco engine the bottom stud does not exists and the ones either side of the centre at the bottom appear to be a smaller size. My question is can I just fit it as it is and forget about the bottom stud (if the disco doesn't need it why does the Defender) and do the other studs accurately match (a paper template test suggests they do).

If this is not going to work can I simply replace the casing on the two engines? My only concern would be that I understand that on the Defender some of the bolts go through part of the block to fix the ladder rack in the sump.

Any information or advise would be greatly appreciated.

yes, the main block is the same, so everything that can be bolted onto the casting can be changed for the defender items, as for the flywheel housing, is there a ready drilled hole, if so tap it through and put a stud in, if not then dont bother it will be fine anyway. the disco engines also bolt through onto the main ladder casting thing behind the flywheel housing.

Thanks for the responses. As I have already changed everything else form the old engine, swapping the flywheel casing is not so much more effort. I just need to get it all back together and installed before the cold wet weather arrives :)