Reccomendation on 3.9 fuel pump

rusty_wingnut

I vote for the standard RR Pump from early sorts (steel tanks that have a ring of bolts

Good for up to 120PSI :) and cheap (DO NOT BUY A NEW GENUINE ! and DEFO do NOT buy a pattern, just buy a working s/h one

These can be dropped into a 90 tank, you may need to extend the pipe to end up with pump at the very bottom

Be carefull of pull vs push pumps, get it wrong and the pump will bleed down and last for "Days" if not hoyrs

I know this for a unknown and unexplained reason :ph34r: ...Like :blush:

Nige

I did the same as Nige and quite a few other people, was discussed here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=63968&hl=&fromsearch=1

We are of course, assuming you are going EFI and not clockwork 19th Century technology :)

If you are having to frig the diesel tank anyways, the above solution is actually the simplest, and least time consuming as you get it all done at the same time.

Looks interesting, perhaps that is the way to go then. Out of interest why not new (gen or not)?

I have a 1996 3.9 from a Discovery with an auto attached, I want to keep my truck manual so I am going to try the trick of R380 V8 bellhousing onto Tdi R380 and modify the crank spigot in the lathe. The only really hard bit for me is engine mounts, I don't want to chop and modify the chassis so some fab is needed on the block mounts to link them to the tdi mounts. This could involve a huge amount of messing around with exhausts and all sorts, I have in my manifold collection:

-P38 manifolds

-Unknown tubulars

-Standard 3.9 that came with the engine.

One set must fit with my potential arrangement :unsure:

Standard Disco transfer 1.2 (235 road tyres) TD radiator, 3.9 manual clutch plates. Tdi Rakeway release bearing, 300tdi arm, 300tdi slave with extension pipe.

And 4 days to get it all to work :hysterical:

Looks interesting, perhaps that is the way to go then. Out of interest why not new (gen or not)?

Presumably 'cos new genuine ones are ££££ and non-genuine are carp.

I have a 1996 3.9 from a Discovery with an auto attached, I want to keep my truck manual so I am going to try the trick of R380 V8 bellhousing onto Tdi R380 and modify the crank spigot in the lathe.

Are you sure the input shaft will reach, V8 bellhousings are quite long, I had a feeing the TDi ones are shorter?