24V supply in a 12V Defender?

Tanuki

I'm installing some 24-volt gear in my 12-volt 90TD5. It potentially needs a standing current of about 1Amp, but can intermittently peak to about 16A.

So far the only option I've been able to come up with is to stick in a second battery in what amounts to a split-charge system but with a couple of DPCO relays which then hook the 2 batteries in series when the radios are in use.

Does anyone have a better suggestion? A 12V to 24V sine-wave inverter would be an option, but it would have to be one which generates very low levels of interference/RF-noise.

--Tanuki.

"WARNING: Ride-on Pony comes unassembled in box with head detatched. You may wish to

not open the box around children if they may be frightened by a box with a decapitated

horse inside."

24V alternator and a tiny battery?

Otherwise, Bowyers turbo boost does exactly what you are talking about with linking the two batteries for 24V, but in all honesty I think a second alternator would be cheaper!

I guess I could look at fitting a little 24V alternator on the pedestal where the aircon-pump would fit if I had one? And a small extra 24V-worth of battery. --Tanuki.

Why not use a small 12-24v converter as used by truckers etc., very cheap. Depending on the load spike, either stick a capacitor across it or a small 24v battery.

Don't truckers use a 24v to 12v convertor? can't see them using a 12-24v unless they wanted to take the car to work. Usually they step voltage down in trucks to use the 12v sat navs and phone chargers etc.

Tanuki, depending on how long you need to use this 1A/16A for, a 24v jump start pack (or two 12v jump start packs) would do the job? just charge off the mains at home would be fine for one or two day use. I am guessing it's 1A standby and 16A transmit or "on" current. If it's extended use a boat alternator on the aircon bracket is the way to go.

Pete