Xtrons

LR NUT

Hi Guys

Im looking at buying an XTRONS 7" DOUBLE DIN IN CAR DVD PLAYER MP3 GPS SAT-NAV of ebay for my Disco 2 and Freelander

My question is has anybody purchased these before........

Are they any good or just cheap carp.......

£200.00 seems a bargain tbh........

cheers

this is a review for the td714g(what you after) but it was put in the wrong place, (it was put under td712g, the model below) HTH you to make your decision...........

"Just to clarify, I don't have this exact unit, I have a, supposedly, updated model, but from what I have seen the only differences are exterior style and a bit of U.I.

Lets start with some positives. It does everything it says it does. Plays music, bluetooth, radio etc...

Now for some negatives.

It was obviously made on a seriously low budget. The exterior feels like cheap plastic and to be honest, looks a bit boring once you have it put in. The user interface is not much better. I think they tried too hard to make it look 'cool' and so ruined it by making it stupid. What makes it worse that it is obviously foreign, as it has been horribly translated and does get annoying.

The manual that came with it has also been badly translated, making it hard to read. The pictures at the back that 'helped' you install it also looked like a completely different unit as the plugs where all in different places.

I don't know if it is just my car, but it doesn't fit into places either. I have a 2 din gap, and this is supposed to be a 2 din unit, but there is considerable space left inside the gap and it can easily be pulled out and disconnected if a thief was to come along.

I bought a version without the GPS on it, but Xtrons decided to send me the model with the GPS button on the exterior and on screen menu, but without the software on it. Thanks. If I click the button, "GPS not supported" flashes up. Back again to the bad translations...

So anyway, I really wish I hadn't bought this and they don't accept returns so I'm screwed. Don't but any of their products, spend a little bit extra like caraudiodsecurity and get a decent in car entertainment system!"

I looked at Xtrons when looking for a PNA for my disco. Came to a similar conclusion that they looked a bit cheap and eventually went for an Eonon unit (G1303). All the chinese made units like this are going to have some quirks like the translation of the manual from chinese into french can be a little testing to understand, however the unit I have I'm pretty happy with.

My plan (which I succesfully achieved after some some long hours working on the software mods) was to get the unit to run Memory Map for greenlaning and Tom Tom or similar for road nav.

All in all im pretty happy with Eonon, they seem to have quite a good portfolio of products with good support.

Incidentally I didnt think you could fit double din into D2s or Freelanders.

double din won't fit a landrover, as it is a double size radio - ie twice the height.

i have the D708 in my disco (xtrons) and it has been absolutely fine, no problems at all. the only real pain was the amount of wiring behind it made it an absolute nightmare to squeeze it into the dash

I have an Eonon in the freebie, it's not perfect (it's a cheap, chinese eBay affair so yes the manual is badly translated & the software is a bit naff) but for less than the price of a TomTom it does everything well enough that I'm chuffed with it.

If you're looking at this sort of thing, take a squint at the GPSPassion forums, they are very into anything with a GPS on it and getting them to run more useful software like OziExplorer, so it's well worth a look before you buy.