Power Steering Hoses

tuko

Now that I have the major parts over from Conventry to get started with my series power steering conversion I'm making a final list of things needed which has got me thinking if it's possible for me make my own power steering hoses? ..... it would be a lot cheaper. ;)

A local trades supplier has universal banjo couplings and nipples that you can press on hydraulic lines, an example:

post-194-0-77359700-1317300554_thumb.jpg

post-194-0-10304800-1317300531_thumb.jpg

They supply hydraulic lines that are rated for working pressure of 275 up 400 bars with max damaging pressure from 1220 to 1850 bars.

Couldn't these hydraulic lines be used for power steering units? I mean there must be a hell of lot pressure on farm equipment hydraulics that use these very parts. The power steering unit from a 300Tdi makes a far bit of pressure but I wouldn't think that it's as much as tractor hydraulics. :glare:

Therefore I'm wondering can I make the lines myself, anyone with this type of experience and suggestions?

Thanks,

Todd.

Searching around on the internet I found this info for a diesel RR power steering pump, the same as found on a 300Tdi:

Hobourn-Eaton series 500 pump, with the following characteristics: Operating pressure - straight ahead position - at idle 7 bar (100 p.s.i.) maximum Full lock (left or right) at idle 28 bar (400 p.s.i.) minimum Full lock (left or right) 1000 rev/min 70-77 bar (1000-1100 p.s.i.)

Should be doable, or ???

Problem is that the threads on the steering box is not of a normal hydraulics standard. I had to bring the original connectors when a hose burst. Making a hose was not that easy anyway, since the ones they have are steel reinforced and has no "give" when pushing them onto the connector. It took a while but was sorted OK.

I've had rubber on there for a decade or so. Mucho stick offroad.

One problem was the inlet/outlet being so close together, so I had to file the hexagon off one fitting into a square! And a male/female 3/8" sweapt elbow helps get you away from the return hose.

One of my threads was the same as UNF bolt, but was still available after a hunt.

I recently fitted a 3/8" quick release so I could check the pressures, but that may be a bit too far for road use?