prop bolt replacement

I need to replace the prop shaft bolts that come through the hand brake drum, whats involved in getting the drum off? apart from undoing the prop bolts? do i need to back the shoes off? if so how?

Many thanks in advance

Matt

There's also usually a small countersunk screw or two holding the drum on, these can be a pig to get off if not touched for a while!

I clean forgot about that, obviously mine wasn't a bugger to undo or I'd have remembered :) Probably due to the amount of oil that had been sprayed about from the failed output seal I guess....

I did mine recently and had to drill through that little screw. It got shocked and started moving. I found an alternative and put it in. The flange has to come of completely because there is a C-ring which can block the bolts from coming off.

post-7610-0-10364700-1317761138_thumb.jpg

You might need to back them off, there is an adjuster bolt at the bottom of the back plate.

The adjuster may be on the side. It depends on the style of the brake.

Since you need to remove the flange, if the little screw is stuck, you can remove the drum with the flange in one piece. Note that oil will come out. Try and keep it off of the shoes if you can.