Horrendous MPG Td5 90 Defender

Dear all,

Over the past few weeks I have seen a marked increase in fuel consumption. I'm no fool and realise I'm driving a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick but to drop from 29 - 30 MPG to 25 - 27 so quickly is a concern.

I live on Guernsey, yeh come on get the jokes out of the way........usual on a post card please.

We have no duel carriageways, it's all town work so to speak. our maximum speed limit is 35 MPH.....yeh tell me about it... and I have to enforce it hence the username. I do not tow any thing and haven't done so.

I service it regularly and have not had any problems.

Engine mods to date are all from Alive tuning and are EGR blanking kit, De-cat pipe and and Alive air filter and 2 hyclones fitted. All mods have been completed in 2007.

I've done all the old tests for air leaks etc nothing. ECU has been checked, no sign of oil in loom.

Every tank of squirt gets 3 shots of Millers Octane booster. I use only one fuel station and before you ask, there is more than one Ha, Ha. We do not have any access to what I would call exotic fuels... BP or Esso diesels. I refuse to go the route of Bio diesel simply because of the horror stories linked with Td5 injectors and other problems and haven't tried them. There is a locking fuel cap and is in tact with not sign of any person tampering with it...(enemies and all that because of my job)

I've checked every where and as usual the local landy dealer won't help and over here they charge UK main dealer prices so I'm not going there.

Having checked the internet, things seem to point at either the M.A.F. unit or the M.A.P. sensor.

Both can be obtained cheap but simply because the motors only 6 years old any parts like this would be replaced with original.

If it is the M.A.P. sensor, has any one replaced one before and did you remove the inlet manifold and intercooler to clean/de-sludge them at the same time. If the manifold was removed are there any problems that I should look out for other than soaking every nut and bolt before loosening them. Is it a pig...pardon the pun.... to realign correctly?

Sorry this is so long but just wanted to Dot the I's and Cross the t's to stop wasting any ones time with suggestions that have already been tried.

As usual all answers on a post card to the usual address...thanks to any one that replies.

landypc

Hi,

No sorry that's another area that I have already checked. Tyres are all sound and at the correct pressure for road use. All oil levels are correct. Brakes are fine, none are binding. handbrake operates correctly and frees every time. As I've said, the only thing I can now put it down to is one or both of the sensors in my original posting. The thing is the engine is running fine. the old lady hasn't said that she felt a blip when driving and I certainly haven't felt any thing. Mind you that doesn't mean to say that a fault hasn't been logged. I'll have to hunt down a diagnostic tool and see if any faults are logged, if there are any I'll check them out and clear down.

landypc

It is worth cleaning the map sensor and de-sludging the manifold, if the sensor is caked in sludge it will cause poor fuel consumption, as will the air flow sensor too, so worth cleaning that up at the same time and see what happens. Also check your engine oil level, if it's high and smells of diesel you have found your problem. possibly injector seals are leaking (cheap and easy to do) or a cracked fuel rail (common) it passes through the head and can leak diesel into the oil. also check the fuel cooler, these can leak internally into the coolant aswell.

Steve

Dear all,

As usual coming to a forum such as this is worth while. All suggestion and ideas greatly received. Off Road Toad you should see my 0 - 1MPH....now that's impressive, makes the hairs on the back of my neck stay down...........however when we travel to Scotland (the old Ladies a Jock or the South of France) then they really do help.

landypc

A slightly faulty maf would not be picked up as an error code but it might show up using live data (during diagnosis) the map sensor output can be seen using live data again . Is there anyone you can try swapping components with ? it makes diagnosis much quicker. Does anyone have any diagnostic equipment near you ?