how do you budge rear brake shoes - not strong enough!

eds

I can't get the rear shoes off the springs are so strong :mellow:

What order and where should I apply my strength to? Bottom/Top/Leading/Trailing?

Also my shoe retainer at the bottom is held on by 4 rivets not 2 bolts with a big ring. Does this need touching?

Am I not strong enough!

Ed

I seem to remember seeing someone once with a home made tool that fitted over the shoe to aid removal and refitment. I can only decribe it as i have no pics, it was made out of a bit of flat steel, say 40 x 5 mm, it had a slot cut in the end with a grinder, and had then been folded back on its self, this allowed the slot to fit each side of the part of the shoe that sits into the cylinder or bottom adjuster part and sit under the curved part of the shoe(under the lining), the bit folded over then sitting on the lining side following the curve of the shoe. Welded to this at 90' was then a bit of round bar to use as a lever. It looked very simple to make and was very effective, keeping your fingers well out of the way. If i get five i will make one for myself and take pics, as its probably easier than trying to describe it.

I seem to remember seeing someone once with a home made tool that fitted over the shoe to aid removal and refitment. I can only decribe it as i have no pics, it was made out of a bit of flat steel, say 40 x 5 mm, it had a slot cut in the end with a grinder, and had then been folded back on its self, this allowed the slot to fit each side of the part of the shoe that sits into the cylinder or bottom adjuster part and sit under the curved part of the shoe(under the lining), the bit folded over then sitting on the lining side following the curve of the shoe. Welded to this at 90' was then a bit of round bar to use as a lever. It looked very simple to make and was very effective, keeping your fingers well out of the way. If i get five i will make one for myself and take pics, as its probably easier than trying to describe it.

These used to be available ready made in motor accessory shops. Girling tool if I remember correctly (along with clamps for flexible hoses btw.)

I find a decent sized moveable spanner also works quite well, used in the same manner.