Want to get going

godly

Hi everyone and welcome to my very first post.

I’m 22 and just brought my first car (disco 300tdi)

I’m really looking at getting off road and would love to meet people who are experienced and know what there doing.

My disco is bog standard apart from the new shocks and springs I have fitted.

If anyone would be interested in getting out I would love to join you

I live in Carshalton near Croydon

Drop me a msg.

Best advice:

- Join a local club, go along to socials / spectate, talk to people & listen to the advice.

- Don't rush to change the vehicle, every mod has a trade-off and 99% of the time if you're stuck it's your fault not the vehicle's, improve your driving first - it's free.

- Off-road, find someone who has a similar vehicle to yours & watch them / follow them, if they made it through OK then you get a good feeling that you can too, and you can see how people drive things (good & bad).

- Don't let people talk you into stuff, especially if those people have cameras.

- Maintain your vehicle. Learn to use a pressure washer & grease gun, and use them after every outing. You don't have to polish it, but the oily bits don't like being full of mud and will not thank you.

Edited to add:

- Don't buy all the junk you've just asked for in the classifieds forum until you actually really need to. A snorkel is a good investment but starting out you don't need to bolt all the other armour on, just don't drive into things. You get stuck less if your car weighs less too ;)

a group of us are going to picadilly wood (near gatwick) on the 6th november your welcome to tag along for a crash course :) drop me a pm if your interested

With Picadilly it would probably be more "crash" than "course"...

I much prefer Slindon. Great site and very well run. Plenty to do for a novice.

I would also echo the advice above re. maintenance. Don't become one of the 'all the gear but no idea' brigade :)

Decent tyres is all you need and as said above don't go out and buy all the flashy sh*t until you can drive it properly!

Snorkels are the devils work as they push people into deep water which will ultimately kill your motor - my opinion of course :ph34r:

As FF said - wash it, wash it, wash it and keep on top of maintanence