Help please: replacement lower link not lining up with axle

Hi,

Im trying to replace my lower link bushes (both axle and chassis end) and I can not get the axle end to line up and let me get the bolt through. The axle is about 3mm too far forward.

I have tried jacking the chassis up, the axle up, I even have the axle strapped to the wifes car trying to pull it but it is still about 3 mm off and I'm stumped.

I don't know if I should remove the link on the other side or if this would make matters worse. Im about to try putting the axle end on first then the chassis end and see if that helps.

thanks,

Heds

I don't know what you just did Ralph but it has just gone in.

I have been at this since 11am with no success and I went back out, loosened the 3 bolts holding the chassis mount in place and the large nut on the end of the link (I have had them tightened up and loose several times to see if it made any difference) and it went in eay as.

Puzzled but happy ;-)

Now to do the other side. Will try your idea of a tapered pyrbar.

thanks again.

Heds

It did indeed, offered up the lower link to the mount and the bolt just slid through. Very odd.

Trouble is it hasn't solved my wobble. So far have replaced:

Drop arm

Drag link ball joint

Rear lower link bushes (axle & chassis)

Tightend up bearings.

It still feels as though it swerves to the left when I lift off but need to take it for a longer trip tomorrow on the way to work and see what is going on. I'm wondering whether the panhard rod mount holes have ovaled and need washers welding on.

Well your trailing arm bushes certainly had play, so they can't have been helping the issue. Good to hear you got them in anyway!

A-frame ball-joint and bushes are next in the firing line bush-wise. As well as the chassis ends of the front radius arms. Panhard rod can be checked by getting someone to steer from left to right while you lie underneath and watch the bushes. The steering action will try and push the axle sideways so should show up any play.

Have you had a look at the tracking? And things like shock absorbers and their bushes?

Will give this a go during the week if I can persuade my wife to help me for 5 minutes.

Shock absorbers and bushes are ok I think, They are pretty old so should be replaced soonish. I haven't done much ot the car for ages so it deserves a bit of love.

After driving it to work today the steering is a lot better so the lower link axle bushes helped with the swerve I had, but I think as you all say I think the front ones need looking at next. I need to get my links cleaned up and dropped off at mickeyw's first as he lent me his and then I can see about getting a borrow set of front arms and starting again.