90 loom...

I'm at the stage of my rebuild of putting the wiring loom in (the one that runs to the back of the truck).

It's a 90, but has a 110 length loom (as they all do, or at least used to...).

I'm not running it inside the chassis as I want access to it if needed; the only issue with this is I've got 20 inches of loom spare. What have people done with this?

The first idea is obviously to cut it out. Anything else suitable? It's going to be running in some (approx) 30mm convoluted tubing.

Hi Diablo,

I run my loom through some flexible plastic conduit (Copex) and clipped it to the chassis.

For the excess I looped the extra just behind the fuel tank but in front of the rear shocker.

I will get a piccie for you if you want one.

HTH

H

Had the same problem so I cut my one and remade the ends with the correct plugs..........One pain in the ars* job.

Nice and neat but I would not like to do it again.

The only other problem I have is that the connections for the fuel tank sender are at the rear and my tank is under the drivers seat (300tdi 1995)

Aye, that's what I'm doing western, but the 90 has the same length loom as the 110 and it was this extra length that I'm not fully sure what to do with.

either a shortening job or coil the extra 20 inches under the seatbox & clip it securely or fold it inside the 30mm tubing.

Just done the 90 buy cutting the loom with the cuts at about 40mm apart so there isn't a gerat lump of joins together. Joined the cuts by soldering and heat shrink sleeving, making sure there were no sharp solder pips. Can't remember exactly what length I cut out though, sorry.

I ran it through flexi pipe, could only get solid pipe locally so I got the dremel out and cut the pipe along its length and used a piece of copper pipe to ease the newly wrapped wires into the flexi. Then this was tie wrapped along the top of the chassis rail. I have a galv chassis and when I got the loom out originally it was clear that who ever threaded it into the chassis rail hadn't been very careful - there were also bits of galv getting in between the wires where the black outer wrapping had been scraped off when it was refitted during the rebuild.

Time consuming but well worth it, I think.

Cheers, H.

Here you go.

Theres another thread at the moment about putting the loom through the chassis, I tried three times and it jammed each time. Given the amount of slag and potential sharp edges eventually your cables could wear through on the inside.

I decided just to run externally and clip it in place.

post-1366-0-26637600-1319993353_thumb.jpg

When I did my one I ran a large earth wire through first with a bit of hassle then attached it to a rubber hose, pulled that through and then ran the loom through it. Hope that the rubber hose will stop the sharp edges from the galvanizing cutting into the loom.

Right, ended up cutting it short.

This was in part influenced by (yet another) bodge that was on the car. Whoever changed the crossmember on the old chassis clearly couldn't be bothered to take the loom out, so cut it and crimped it back together.

Needless to say it's done to a much better standard now...

Next question about the loom: midway across the rear x-member, there's a connector with black/green and white/grey wires. I presume this is for a 110's fuel tank sender? On the new 200tdi sender in my TD5 tank, there are 4 wires: black/green, white/purple and 2 black ones. What are they for, and can I just match the black/greens and the white cables up to allow me to connect them to a fuel gauge?

white/purple goes from fuel pump to it's relay

black to earth

green/black to instruments pack for fuel gauge via speedo connection plug

slate/black as above [low fuel warning via speedo most likely.

al above from the 1999 Td5 wiring diagrams. & attached page below

2nd page is from the 2002 Onwards Td5 wiring info [on this page look at the top tank unit for a 90]

post-20-0-53755700-1319998672_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-80834800-1319998869_thumb.jpg

This is where the complications arise!

The sender/pump unit is a 200tdi unit.

The connector with the wires, however, I think is a TD5 unit, I picked it up at a Sodbury sortout.

200TDi 'pumps' don't actually have a pump in do they? It's just sucked by the lift pump?

Cheers for the diags though ralph

200 tdi's just have a sender unit, no pump. correct about being sucked by the lift pump.

for my project for the rest of the loom im going to cut and put a multiplug connector on the back, that way i can un plug and remove tub with out disconnecting all the lights, im also doing it the same for each wing.

tom