Defender V8 Fuel Pump

I live in Bolivia and own a 1999 Defender V8 110 Station Wagon. The vehicle is fitted with SU carbs.I have been looking round for a spare fuel pump to have for peace of mind when heading off on long trips. I have been quoted prices in the region of £400 by both LR and after market suppliers in the UK based on the VIN number. The pump is currently nil stock and I have been offered supply on back order. I have seen a fuel pump PRC7020 offered at a significantly lower price but I am not sure if it would be suitable. What I would like to ask is whether I should need to worry about the reliability of my current fuel pump and if I do is there a more cost effective replacement unit?

another suggestion , go aftermarket , look at Facet fuel pumps , they will do the job fine , the type that i show a link to below was OE fitment on 110 V8 and also 109 Stage 1 V8 before intank pump , you can fit inline , if you have intank pump , mount on chassis original location was just behind rear of drivers front door behind outrigger . Original pump will pump thru OK and if tank pump packs up you can just switch on facet pump and it will pull thru in tank pump . HTSH

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLID-STATE-ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP-FACET-RED-TOP-TYPE-PETROL-LIFT-PUMP-/160651332070?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item256790c9e6

another suggestion , go aftermarket , look at Facet fuel pumps , they will do the job fine , the type that i show a link to below was OE fitment on 110 V8 and also 109 Stage 1 V8 before intank pump , you can fit inline , if you have intank pump , mount on chassis original location was just behind rear of drivers front door behind outrigger . Original pump will pump thru OK and if tank pump packs up you can just switch on facet pump and it will pull thru in tank pump . HTSH

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item256790c9e6

As I don't currently have a problem with the fuel pump I think this is definitely the way I will go. It would definitely give me some peace of mind in the middle of nowhere in the Andes!