rebuilding Koni shocks?

Eightpot

I've read a lot about one of the advantages of buying Koni adjustable shocks is they can be rebuilt -

so now my Heavy Tracks are mullered, I thought I'd get in touch with Koni to see how I can get mine rebuilt - seems a shame to bin them if all thats wrong is some valves & seals.

They got back to me today though, and let me know that they can't rebuild them for me, only sell me a new set.

before I get a replacement set of shocks, does anyone know if there is another route (economical) to get them rebuilt?

Hmmmm Yes well I see.

Now many moons ago when I had my IMP rally car. Koni were the only shocks that worked on the rears.

Now Kevin Stones used to take his Konis apart straighten the tube and rebuild them after he's bent them on a rally. I have no idea how he did it but he did.

In reality you have nothing to loose taking them apart. If they don't go back together then you WILL have to buy new.

If they are gased shocks you only really have a chance of rebuilding if its a mono tube shock.....

I have never looked at Koni's but most off the shelf nitrogen shocks are a twin tube design (as they are more compact) and these would be a PITA to rebuild due to the extra chamber that holds the gas/oil.

think they are twin tube, either way I won't be dismantling them myself as I wouldn't have any bits to replace any bust bits anyway -

and I could see it getting messy in my shed attacking some gas filled rams with a set of molegrips, rusty screwdriver and a claw hammer :rolleyes:

There's a guy flogging some sets of new heavy duty Armstrong shocks on ebay for 14 quid a pair so might just bung some of those on for now.

Konis are shwoing up for £50 each on the bay, some are EAS units though but they still work, they have less compression damping for one.

I recal Bilsteins will rebuild their shocks, a member of another forum asked and they offered to rebuild them longer!

Wouldn't know where to start on Koni but after watching "how it's made" I wouldn't want to dismantle a gas pressurised damper, the gas is introduced by a machine that spin welds a ball bearing int othe hole in one operation.