disco engine and gearbox into defender

ped

thoughts on fitting a disco engine and box into a landy, i already know that the gear stick will be too far back in the present position

what i'm thinking of doing is moving the whole lot forwards to get round this problem

obviously that means removing the viscous fan and new props,will a shorter front prop give me any issues

if i have to use a double cardamon joint as used on salisbury fronts axles it's probally not worth doing it

You can't do that as the crank pulley will be about 6" infront of the front bumper.

You can fit the disco box and then have the engine right forward ala 300 style and use all the discos standard pipework (even exhaust downpipe) but new engine mounts will be required. and or you can could swap the LT77 disco tailhousing and remote housing and gearsticks to defender items so your gearsticks are proper 'defender' ones, however thats a box rebuild job. Or you could fit a defender R380 but you might have to swap the tdi backplate.

its for a full rebuild i'm thinking of doing, i'm planning on using a disco as a donor for front axle steering box engine and other suspension parts

that way i can refurb and powder coat parts up to a rolling chassis without stripping my other one

it seems a shame to not use the gear box

fabricating new mounts isn't a problem

cheers ped

if you leave the transfer box in the same position and move the engine forward to suit the longer gearbox, the gearstick comes up on the front edge of the seatbox which is actually a much better place for it and it works quite well.

thats along the lines i was thinking of

why not use a 300tdi auto as donor , then all you need is the welding on of engine brackets. ?

prefer the 200tdi engine and run a hydraulic winch, otherwise would use an auto as i've got one in my other 110 and i do like them

does anybody run an auto with a pto hydraulic pump i've always presumed i wouldn't be able

cheers ped

when i use the winch i use 4th gear at 1500rpm to get the correct flow rate

you can use any gear (apart from reverse)but the flow rate is less so winch speed is slower

my thoughts were when you put auto into drive you would have to rev it to change up to probally third (can't remember auto ratio's so this is a guess) so getting the maximum flow rate wuold be difficult and could cause over heating problems to the hydraulic system or pump damage

would be great if i'm wrong on this as putting an auto in would make thing easier

cheers ped

with an auto , it will change up under no load, but would then change down under load , to try and maintain speed as when it changes down the load decreases and so i would think it would work well although initially you would need to rev a bit higher , as you could not select 4th and have it idle as with a manual .

I had a morris minor engine and gearbox in a heavy wrecker I used . It was to drive hyd pump and generator, as the gearbox pto was used to drive a 20ton pull winch , If I was using hyab i would put gearbox in 4th , as i needed more flow for speed but when using lifting gear i used 1st or second as it needed more power rather than flow .