D2 Auto rattle/struggling/v high revs on steep hills

allegedly

Hi all,

Well, finally bit the bullet and stepped up from my trusty old tdi 300 and bought an '02 td5 2 and having driven rental autos in the past and quite liken them, tried an auto for the first time.

On the flat and 'normal hills' it's a pleasure to drive, full black leather and cruise control, (apart from finding the obligatory wet foot wells but I'm working on that and pics to follow, I hope) but I live in the wilds of Scotland and my house is at the top of a fecker of a hill.

The old beast being manual didn't rush it but coped okay. The new kid on the block is having major probs getting up without complaint.

Most noticeable is the lack of acceleration, coupled with high revs and, when loaded up with four people, an unwillingness to change up coupled with a worrying knocking/rapid rattle.

Being new to the auto, I've no idea what this is symptomatic of but it doesn't take a boffin to see it's not 'operating within accepted parameters'. When I pull up outside of the house, there's a smell of hot rubber/clutch overheating.

I'm completing the drive up in 'D' and i wondered if I should be selecting 2 or 3 on the selector or another mode or something I'm unaware of.

I've read on here about the possible aid/cure being to renew filters and an oil change but also that this can mess up an auto box as it 'disturbs sediment within the 'box that makes the situation worse'.

I'm lucky to hit thirty coming up and that seems to be the max but that's not far from what I'd comfortably get from the manual box speed. However, the rpm the auto box goes up to is much higher than the manual ever went to at that speed on that gradient.

If it's simply a case of the auto doesn't like these kinds of incline, she's on the market and a similarly priced td5 manual is on my xmas list but I'll miss the ease of operation.

Any tips or guidance from our members in the know would be gratefully received.

PS. The old 300 is on the market, spares or repair and will be advertised on here and fleabay etc. Sorry to see her go though but don't have time to work through the 'to do' list.

Rob

If you can smell burning I'd suggest the clutches are slipping which means there is a problem. Maybe low oil maybe more serious. Change the oil and filter and make sure it is filled up by somebody who knows how to fill one up! Apart from anything else it will tell you what is going on inside, if the oil that comes out smells burnt and looks like treacle then you might want to budget for a new box but it might stave off the inevitable for a while.

Td5 autos are stupidly revvy things at the best of times especially going up a steep hill. Anything resembling a decent hill will be 3000rpm+ and lots of noise. But I think what you are seeing is a combination of this and the clutches slipping under high load.

You should not need to change down manually - the thing should change down for you on a steep hill if it needs to. You CAN change down and may do so if the box is hunting between two gears. It might be interesting to try holding it in say 2nd and see if that improves matters, just in case the box isn't changing down when it should. It certainly shouldn't slip the clutches on any hill - I've only ever squealed an auto clutch once in 13 years and that was in my old 3.9 doing a hill start on about a 1 in 4 hill with two and a half tons of dead Merc G-wagen on a rope on the back, when I should have been using low range anyway!

Steven,was that one of those G Wagens left over from the Fauklands war ? I did some restoration / repair work for a chap who was involved in refurbing a runway down there and managed to buy 1 1/2 of them and bring them back.Very basic bit of kit,with rubber plugs in the floor to let the water out with !

It sounds to me as if you've got a torque-converter issue: it shouldn't smell 'hot'.

Get a stall-test and a code-reading done on the transmission - that will tell you if you've got a seized impeller in the TC (which stops it 'torque-converting' properly and will give reduced acceleration/reduced top-speed/poor fuel-consumption as well as overheating).

Properly set up, a D2 is quite lively - with a 'sensibly sensitive' kickdown/downshift that lets the engine rev freely and keep the boost up even on relatively light throttle.

--Tanuki.