Damn splined wiper ferrules!

Having just read JeffR's "Why do I flaming bother" post I cant complain too much about anything but Jeff tackelled a lot of jobs whereas all I wanted to do was remove my old wiper ferrules with new ones and new arms - should be really simple I thought.....

Firstly the little grub screw on each ferrule was rusted beyond removal, so I drilled them out in the hope the old ferrules would slide off.....of course not. Got the mini gas torch to try a little heat but alas no sign of them budging even with some gentle tapping with a flat headed punch. So Nut splitters it is then! Passenger side ferrule actually split off nicely and the oem replacement slipped on fine. However the drivers side needed multiple splitting and when I finally got it off I noticed that the arm the ferrule slides on was warped at the outer end so its no wonder it wasn't going to come off easily. My guess is that someone may have used a hammer to knock the ferrule on and in doing so bulged out the end. Anyway a bit of graft with a file and I got the new ferrule on - although I am very tempted to replace the small hex-headed grub screws with a flat headed screw.

Replaced one wiper arm fine with a satisfying click as the splines seated fully. Tried the next arm and it just didn't slide over the splines well. Examined the arm to find that a large blob of the black paint was left in the hole thus covering the splines. Now I am unsure whether to gently force it on in the hope the splines will cut away the paint or to try and scrape the paint down using a screwdriver but scared that doing this will possibly damage the alluminium splines. So 4 hours work and I only have one windscreen wiper :blink: . On this logic, if I were to attempt Jeff's job list I'd need a few years!

Why dont the wiper arms just attached with a nut and a locking washer type thing!!!!

They do from 2002 onwards :P

Typical - presably to upgrade I would have to replace the wheel boxes in the bulkhead to the later (2002) fitting. Knowing LR you'd need to replace the whole cable assembly to fit with the new wheelboxes!??

I wonder if anyone has found an easy mod to rid myself of these splined ferrules without replacing the entire drive mechanism?

The hole in the bulkhead is different, but I think they can be made to fit. It might be the case that the sweep angle is different on the newer motor gear or wheelbox gears so you might have to do some fiddling with that perhaps.

They changed the positioning of the motor, moved it higher up in the dash to reduce friction in the bend and improve wiper performance. Apparently.