Defender Deadlocks

£80 sounds like a lot of money for what looks like a pretty normal house door lock to me

Many years ago I had a Mercedes van , I fitted similar locks bought from b & q and I have the technical skills of A 12 year old girl so before I spent £250 I'd have a look at similar products off the shelf

They won't be thatcham tested but they are insurance approved for house use, let's face it , it only throws a bolt into the Pillar stopping the door from being opened, a 5 lever house lock is secure enough, they could take the doors off quicker than defeating that!

£80 is a ripoff for a £15 lock with a thatcham sticker on it

Guest wunntenn

I've fitted simple deadbolt locks which cost a relatively small amount and which do the same thing. They have replaceable barrels so when they wear out you can replace easily. Simple to fit, secure enough to stop the casual burglar and cheaper than £80. Mine are a variation on these but with a different barrel. I've fitted to both front doors and the back door - back needed a specially bodged keeper to accept the bolt, but it was easily formed from a piece of steel shaped with a brick and a hammer. And they com in keyed-alike sets so you only need one key for all.

Safeways-D120HS-Motor-Lock-Safeways-D120HS-Motor-Lock_2.gif

Guest wunntenn

Ps fitting is the reverse of what you'd think. The lock section goes into the cavity above the seatbelt, behind the doorpost, and the bolt 'throw' puts the bolt over towards the door where the 'keeper' is located on the door closing face. The lock is therefore not on the door but on the panel to the left of the door (driver side) and right of the door (passenger side).

So all they really do is stop the window frame being bent , defenders are so easy to get into IMO you'd be better off spending the money on a good steering lock or a pedal box lock, a vehicle that has the hinges on the outside held on with 8 screws is never going to be very secure

Guest wunntenn

If you want to make this type more secure fit so they can be locked from the inside, then exit the rear door and use something VERY secure on the back. Its not really bout making the vehicle totally impenetrable, but making it as awkward as possible for the lowlifes so they move on to something easier. And adding other layers of security to make it even harder is sensible too. (Amongst other things, I also take my steering wheel off - how many thieves carry a steering wheel?).

Guest wunntenn

Posted Today, 03:17 PM

So all they really do is stop the window frame being bent , defenders are so easy to get into IMO you'd be better off spending the money on a good steering lock or a pedal box lock, a vehicle that has the hinges on the outside held on with 8 screws is never going to be very secure

Dont know about anyone else's vehicle, but removing the hinge bolts does not allow the door to be easily lifted out. A bent steel portion on the interior side of the door prevents it being removed because it engages around the door pillar hinge side. You HAVE to have the lock side unlocked and only then can it be removed.

• 2 weeks later...