Fitting 5 Point Harnesses

For a 4 point harness, You have to drill holes in the rear tub (on top of the wheel arch) for the top straps, and the box section that the original seat anchors are attached too (between seat box and rear bulkhead) for the waist.

They are simple ring bolts screwed into some 5mm thick steel "tabs" (the harnesses have clips on the outer ends) Mine truck came to me like this.

On inspection and some fag packet calcs I worked out that each anchor (each need to be indipendant) have to take a theoretical force of 4t... (a bad "dynamic" crash) I was not happy with the holes just been drilled into the alu plate so I made a doubler plate of 4mm thick alu plates of about 60x80 to which i fixed to the the underside of rear wheel arches to give a better load distrubution.

As itsa seat belt and safety there is a high factor of safety involved in the cals, so in theory each belt anchor will only have to take an instantanious but very short duration shock load of about 1t (wors case). Bit busy just now, but the soonest opertunity I'll post some pictures to show a bit better what I mean.

Mav

For a 4 point harness, You have to drill holes in the rear tub (on top of the wheel arch) for the top straps, and the box section that the original seat anchors are attached too (between seat box and rear bulkhead) for the waist.

They are simple ring bolts screwed into some 5mm thick steel "tabs" (the harnesses have clips on the outer ends) Mine truck came to me like this.

On inspection and some fag packet calcs I worked out that each anchor (each need to be indipendant) have to take a theoretical force of 4t... (a bad "dynamic" crash) I was not happy with the holes just been drilled into the alu plate so I made a doubler plate of 4mm thick alu plates of about 60x80 to which i fixed to the the underside of rear wheel arches to give a better load distrubution.

As itsa seat belt and safety there is a high factor of safety involved in the cals, so in theory each belt anchor will only have to take an instantanious but very short duration shock load of about 1t (wors case). Bit busy just now, but the soonest opertunity I'll post some pictures to show a bit better what I mean.

Mav

That isn't any good. The straps need to leave the back of the seat at a certain angle or you will compress the spine in an accident. The MSA blue book would be a good place to start to find the specs.

Personally don't see much point in a 5 point harness in a non caged defender.

OK....and why would you want to be securely strapped into a truck that does not have a cage. The Defender roof WILL collapse in even the slowest rollover. They have no strength whatsoever.

Thats a little bit OTT i put a 130 through a drystone wall upside down and whilst the screen frame did shear and the entire roof was 'offset' as was the bulkhead it didnt just collapse.

However harnesses in anything other than a comp motor are pointless in my opinion, you often geyt lazy and wear them as a lap belt wich is less safe than a standard 3pt belt. Not to mention the inabilty to reach anything!

Will.

All points taken and agreed with, the seatbelts are on my to do list to change out, but need to do the seats as well as a heap of other things need changeing to fit back the original setup.

BUT in the mean time my vehicle is safe (as safe as defenders are) and has passed 2 MOT's under my ownership.

The shoulder belts do "comply" with the blue book, but if you read the regs http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/12/150_186_Common_Regulations_for_Competitors_(Safety)_(K).pdf

they are a little loose with regard to angle par say, the anchor points on my truck are as near to the horizontal as practicable.

As the belts go through the seat its actually more uncomfortable not using them and I am acutely aware of my safety and my passangers safety in my vehicle.

I wouldn't recommend a 4 point harness set-up unless you are competing in offroad type events.

• 3 weeks later...

My friend rolled my 110 at jogging pace and the roof stopped about 4 inches from my face, and that was because I had strapped the hilift vertically to the back of the dog guard

Lots of damage to my only just finished 5 year rebuild, but my underwear was written off!