Pipe bender

greenstream

I've been searching for a pipebender and have been offered a Rothenberger Robull complete new and unused for £350.

The dies are in inches, but I would like to bend 45 mm. and 38 mm. pipes.

Do any of you know which other brands of dies I can use for the Rothenberger and is the Rothenberger a good choise ?

Cheers

Morten

the only downside to centre push hydralic benders is that they tend to collapse on the inside. like i did when i bet up some piping,you'll have to pack the tube with sand. You'll fid it better to use Dried Kiln sand/water as it's finer and will compact down pretty solid. then it doesn't deform too much.

I'd have to agree with above. The formers are very critical, and good quality centre-push seems to be a world apart from a cheap one (Like our cheapy sealey one). There's no doubt the sand is a cracking fix for a good bend on a good bender :)

At £350 I'm not seeing any risk. When I've rented that style bender in the past its worked well eough.

But there's no mention of wall thickness? The thinner the wall, the nearer you are to needing a mandrel bender.

Here's the link for the bender and the size of the dies.

http://www.rothenberger.com/uploads/media/PG03_HK_2009_GB.pdf

You will see that the size is refering to the inner size of the tube ? Hence not doing any good for my choise of size 38/45 mm.

I know that at least Dirty Diesel have been using a good quality centerpush for makeing cages, so I was wondering wether this is any good and hopeing to find a person that knows about this particular bender.

Its not the quality of the 'pushing' that matters, its the quality of the formers.

The tube / pipe doesn't know it is being pushed by a quality machine, it just experiences a force. What happens under that force depends on the relationship between the former and the material.

For cages etc, you're better off trying to find a used draw-type bender for the same money.

Al.

You will see that the size is refering to the inner size of the tube ? Hence not doing any good for my choise of size 38/45 mm.

The reason they are refering to the nominal bore is that the rothenberger is a pipe bender, pipe is sized in nb rather than od.

38/45mm sound like cds tube sizes for this you will need a draw bender, i've never seen od sized tooling for a center push, and cds does not usually bend with a center push.

For cages etc, you're better off trying to find a used draw-type bender for the same money.

Al.

Have you ever seen a draw bender (with tooling) for sale for £350? i haven't!