D1 auto "T" bar shift lever removal

James NZ

Hi all

Hopw do you remove the shift lever from the auto? I have undone the 4 screws that hold the base down but can't figure how to get the T bar offf. Any help would be appreciated.

And if in case you are wondering why, my transfer lever was jammed so have removed that by removing the console and drilling the rivets and freeing up the lever. Shifting from high to low is "notchy" and sometimes it falls out of low. So having read another thread about tightening the grub screw further down I figure I can get to that by removing the gear lever.

Thanks, James NZ

The plastic insert on the top part of the tee handle can be prised out. That reveals the interlock button gubbins which can be pulled out and then theres a nut which is unscrewed so the handle comes off the shaft.

Is that what you were after?

Ray.

I think you're talking about the High-Low range selector lever not the P-R-N-D-3-2-1 gear shift as was first though.

If your transfer gear selector (Hi-Lo) is jumping out of gear then I think it's either one of two things, the lever adjustment is out of kilter or the selector arm in the box is worn.

The first can be rectified by the removal of the centre console, this involves disassembly of the T selector lever, handbrake, removal of the console itself and then the gear cover under the exposed carpet -- (drill out around 10 3/8" pop rivets) this gives you access to the top of the transfer box and the selector lever adustment. If its the selector arm in the box thats worn you have to drop the transfer box and have it serviced, or pull it apart yourself and rectify the problem.

This can be done with the auto box left in position and with the Disco up on 4 strong ramps (you need the extra ground clearance) but its a person I'm not that keen on of a job and one where you need to have a strong mate around to give you a hand as they are heavy bitches to lower -- and to lift back afterwards!

Can anyone else give more infomation?