Stuck Rear Half Shaft

Hi all,

At a recent pay and play, I knackered my rear diff. Had to drive it home from the site, so it's done a few miles since being broken.

I've just got round to starting to strip it down.

First worry was when I remove the diff drain plug, and all that came out was 3 drops of water and a big lump of mud(yes, it definitely had oil before). Not good! I've managed to remove the long halfshaft without a problem, found the splines on it are twisted.

The short halfshaft however will not come out for love nor money. I've tried yanking on it, trying twine through the holes and yanking on that, using 2 crowbars to pry it out. Have also tried passing a metal rod through the axle casing from the other side and hitting that, but it's not budging.

I can get it to move out about 10mm with ease, then it stops. The only successful solution for the rear I have read on here seems to be towing it out with a car :unsure:

Have also tried slackening the diff nuts to allow me to get a slightly different angle on it, to no avail.

I've read elsewhere that a slidehammer might do the job, but surely smashing it with a steel rod through the axle casing would have done the same?! Also read about cutting the diff pan off, but that really is a last resort as I would have to pay to get a new one welded on.

Any ideas?

Jack

Eod through from the other side must be no more than 10mm Dia or you'll just be bashing the cross pin. Sounds like the end of the shaft is twisted enough to stop it being pulled out. If you can do it - might be worth snapping the shaft if you can and then taking the diff out. Banging the affected side against the transmission while someone knocks a suitable bar through from the other side might get it out.

Les.

yes about an 8mm rod, definitely hitting the halfshaft not the pin.

i would happily snap the shaft as it and the diff must be fubar, but I've no idea how i would go about doing that now! (I'm only good at snapping stuff by accident! :( )

Banging the affected side against the transmission while someone knocks a suitable bar through from the other side might get it out.

Could you explain that for me please? Don't understand what you mean by 'banging it against the transmission'?

Cheers

it does sound abit rough i know, but the easiest option would be to tow or winch or jack it out. would come out in seconds done right

what is the best way to attach something to the halfshaft? i'm assuming putting that much force on the drive flange will just pull through the circlip?

Been her myself and struggled lots.

The shaft should have a threaded hole in the end. I used a slide hammer to tease the shaft out - it took bluddy ages but got there in the end. I had to make an adapter for the slide hammer to suit the thread, I'm afraid I can't recall what the thread was.

When I did finally get it out the reason could be seen - the break was inside of the carrier, and although it hadn't twisted the splines through many degrees, it had left a huge burr next to the break. This burr then had to be forced through the carrier before the shaft would come out, hence the struggle.