Fitting modern seat belts in a series3 truck cab

telindnor

You need to ensure it is attached directly to the chassis - or on a sturdy bracket that is attached directly to the chassis - the reason being that in the event of an impact the whole unit can be ripped from the aluminium body work.

What my sister did when she fitted hers, was to fit a strong bracket from the rear tub front mounting on the chassis, to the underside of the rear tub, in the cab part, just behind the seatbox.

The inertia reel was then fitted to this, using a "L" shaped bracket.

The passenger side was easy, but the driver side was difficult, as the fuel filler is in the same area.

Thus the reel is behind the seat, to the side of the vehicle. Ideal.

Hope this helps, especially nice to help someone from Norway on a seat belt question!

G.

This is what I did, but I can't take credit for the design :

th_P1010001.jpg

Its got 2 bolts down to the cill, and 2 bolts into the bracket thats bolted on the end of the cill. It's made from 3mm plate and 25x25x3 angle, with a 25x5 stiffener welded up the edge aswell. Although it works absolutely brilliantly, after 2 years or so I've not got around to fitting the drivers side, which is a constant source of annoyance!

OK, I think I got the picture about "how to.." for the inertia reel, I´ll see what I manage to do. But I still dont have the idea how to mount the "shoulder" part of the seat belt, the one fitted to a special bracket on my hard top (when using the car as a HT). Is there a similar bracket for the truck cab?

If anyone do have a picture about the mounting/description, it would be a lot easier to understand. You do have some words and description that its not so easy to understand for a simple countryside Norwegian... :wacko:

Relevant bracket part numbers are 395246 (2) MRC4671 and MRC4672.....although I will admit I have occasionally found errors in the book!

In all honesty though, fab yourself up a bracket that is well mounted, high up and low down, to strong body points, well made, and does exactly what LR's did, and that you'd put your life and more importantly someone else' life against, and you'll be fine.

Personally, I wouldnt mount it on the bulkhead. All I can see is in the event of an accident the action of the belt would pull down on your shoulder and try to force you under the lap belt - submarining I believe they call it. Far better to have the top anchor points in.

The Series II I'm just finishing off was a truckcab when it came, and the owner had the seatbelt reels mounted up the top rather than the running triangle thing...and no, sorry, I'm not parting with the seatbelt brackets!!

there is a strengthened bit on the cab just behind the rear door thing at the top. my mate just bolted his through here. i used the anchor point on the bulkhead which is the top point from the "non inertia" type and put a bloody thick rollpin through the hole if that makes senste. i asked my MOT man and he says its plenty strong enough