My MIGs broken. Spare parts??

reb78

I was just doing a bit of welding tonight, when the wire feed stopped. I could hear the motor, so thought the wire had jammed. I looked at the welder and it looked like the torch had disconnected from the body and the wire was spewing out there. On closer inspection, the torch was connected, and the section that it connects to had actually become detached from the wire feed tube. The threads had stripped where the section the torch locks into screws into the wire feed tube. This must have happened when it was made (2-3) years old i think and its been weak and finally broken.

This pic shows the broken part in situ:

post-12362-0-28690500-1324587142_thumb.jpg

This shows the stripped thread:

post-12362-0-56766700-1324587175_thumb.jpg

This pic shows the thread on the end of the wire feed tube (i've removed it from the machine at this point:

post-12362-0-38983000-1324586527_thumb.jpg

Can i buy the part in pic 1 as a replacement part? The welder is a Butters AMT 180C

As a temporary repair, can i wrap PTFE tape around the end of the wire feed tube such that it sits tighter in what little thread is left in the broken bit? - if i use PTFE tape, will this either mess up an earth connection (the wire feed tube is earthed, but i guess that earths the wire rather than the torch?) or get too hot here (i've no idea if this part gets hot during use!)

Any other ideas to repair it??

Thanks

hi reb

try a bit of chemy metal i swear by the stuff my discovery front pulley was held on with it for three years

cheers brian

Will it work on brass? (i presume that bit is brass?)

I'd probably save the option as a last choice though as i guess it will mean i cant get it apart again.

Have you got a good welding suppliers or a fab shop/engineering works nearby?

I dont know. I bought it from SPA in Sussex, but they arent local. I've dropped them an email tonight, will see what they say tomorrow - theyve always been pretty helpful. I'll have a search around for a local place. Can anyone recommend one in Hertfordshire?

You could use a Helicoil to fix it - but a new part is probably cheaper!

The wire feed tube looks easier to machine a replacement - as there are no off-axis holes / threads. You could cut a larger size thread in the stripped bit, then adapt or re-make the wire feed to have the corresponding thread.

You could even cut a bigger thread in one bit and a smaller thread in the other and make an adapter between the two.

Si

If you go to the mig welding forum & look up Weldequip (he has a shop on there) He'll sort you out.

Does mail order too.

Thanks. I put a post on there, and then noticed his shop! (shut now till new year, so i'll contact him then).

You could use a Helicoil to fix it - but a new part is probably cheaper!

The wire feed tube looks easier to machine a replacement - as there are no off-axis holes / threads. You could cut a larger size thread in the stripped bit, then adapt or re-make the wire feed to have the corresponding thread.

You could even cut a bigger thread in one bit and a smaller thread in the other and make an adapter between the two.

Si

Thanks Si. I'm hoping that, since the torch connections are fairly universal, that this part will be common to more than one machine.

Also, i had to take the other side of the casing off that covers all of the electrical gubbins - is there anything in there i shouldnt touch (its unplugged, but i wasnt sure if there was anything that stored a charge in there!!).

There is unlikely to be any stored charge at a voltage that will hurt! (unless it's an inverter welder. If it's a traditional type with a honking big transformer, you'll probably be OK) If there are any big capacitors in there and you're worried, connect a light bulb across the terminals to discharge them. If the bulb flashes, there was charge in it but as soon as the bulb goes out it is pretty much discharged.

Si

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone ever needs to know the name of that part in my pics above, apparently it is called the CTA block. SPA are getting one for me. Thanks for the other contact fozsug, will try them next time i need some bits.