Fitting Disco 1LT230 transfer box to ZFauto (disco1)

Progressing with my conversion today, and offered the td5 engine with zf4 auto (out of disco1) into the engine bay - all looking good.

Got underneath to bolt up the gearbox mounts, and when trying to get the transfer box on it stopped short of the back of the gearbox by about 1/2 inch.

I bought the auto box and the transfer box from different places, but both were out of a disco 1, although t/box could have been from a manual disco.

Is there something different either on the back of the gearbox or inside the t/box stopping the auto mating up?

I thought all t/box's were interchangeable...

I expect your transfer box has a cross drilled input gear and the one originally on your auto box didn't.

You need one of these;

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=47

Cheers Paul!

I've been googling lots tonight and come to the same conclusion. I'll have a look at the input gear tomorrow.

Is it easy to tell if it is a cross drilled one?

Cheers....Al

From the gap I'd second checking the locating pin. It's located at the bottom left as you look from the rear and it's not uncommon to end up with a locating pin in both the transfer box and the gearbox when they come from different sources.

The "cross drilled" thing I'd always assumed to be a manual gearbox thing, The only variation on an auto I've come across is between the Borg Warner and LT230 output shafts but that would give you a much bigger gap than 1/2 an inch and would be unlikely on a Disco 1 auto box.

It was the output shaft that was different, only had splines for 2/3rd of the way.

Proper one ordered (FTC5090) and should be with me next week. This didn't hold us up at all, as when I realised all I had to do was undo the bolt at the end of the shaft, I removed it completely, which allowed us to bolt the transfer box on and to the mounts as well, and this then enabled us to get the positioning for the new TD5 engine mounts.

Haven't figured out the wiring yet, as installing complete TD5 main/dash loom, engine loom and rear chassis loom for the TD5 fuel pump etc.

As these are manual looms for a Defender, I need to work out the inhibitor switch wiring....