Auto conversion electrics

Simplest way is to use the start inhibitor to make/break the earth side of the starter relay that's mounted in the bulkhead fuse panel. The start inhibitor is a simple make/break switch so you can put it in circuit with the switching circuit for the relay. I use the earth side of the relay because that way you have the option of just running one wire to the relay and earthing the other one.

The other two wires on the switch are the reverse light switch so just connect them to the wires that used to go to the manual gearbox reverse light switch.

If you have access to a td5 wiring diagram , just trace the wire colour code where it links into the start circuit on the engine loom back to its relay and use the wires on the inhib switch to link into that , both being rover units the colour code should be the same . i just fitted a 300tdi auto from disco with edis into a 90 TD and the colour codes are the same (where applicable). You will probably find it helps to have a 300tdi auto wring schematic handy as well you should then be able to see the similarity and work out where you can join the two . HTSH

Think it's a white wire with a red trace, look in the RAVE manual under the Td5 electrics. Find the starter relay (which should be either behind the fuse box plate or under the driver's seat, I can't recall at present) and work out from the wiring diagram info which wire is the earth path. It may be switched by the 10AS alarm unit, I know that has a 'crank enable' output, but I'm not sure how that works.

The purpose is to put the inhibitor switch in line with the earth path for this relay, in order that the relay can only engage (and start the engine) when the earth path is completed by the inhibitor switch (ie. when it's in neutral/park/whatever). It may be that the earth path of the starter relay is switched by the 10AS as its method of disabling the engine cranking, this won't affect anything - you simply insert the inhibitor switch inline between the relay and the 10AS.

For TD5 wiring the simplest thing to do is hook the inhibitor circuit into the immobiliser wiring. The immobiliser provides an earth path for the relay when it's disarmed via the black/orange wire at the "green box". Cut the wire and connect the two inhibitor wires in circuit with it.