Possible problem with my 200TDi

I'm making a start on doing bits and pieces on my H reg 110 Defender and I've been noticing on the rocker cover on the 200tdi there are oil leaks at the 3 bolts along the top (see photos)

I don't believe it to be huge amounts of oil but engines are a complete mystery to me....is this just a matter of replacing a washer that or the bolt becasue of simple old age or is it a sign that something else is about to go bang???

I've given the bolts a little tighten up, about a quarter turn, in case it was case of just being old and a little loose after 20+ years of service.

Any help more than welcome as it's increasing my knowledge and helping me do more of my work on the old girl.

post-16560-0-05990900-1325943440_thumb.jpg

post-16560-0-24260200-1325943451_thumb.jpg

if it hasnt been touched for twenty years your doing well!!

i would remove the rocker cover, replace the gasket ( chances are it wil simply fall apart after many years of service!!) and replace the plastic washes on the cover and replace with new bolts

if it hasnt been touched for twenty years your doing well!!

i would remove the rocker cover, replace the gasket ( chances are it wil simply fall apart after many years of service!!) and replace the plastic washes on the cover and replace with new bolts

and might as well check and adjust the tappets while the rocker cover is off.

Many thanks for the advice davyd & farmerboy, thats just the advice I wanted. As soon as I get paid I'll get the bits ordered and get the job done, it all looks pretty simple which is just what an engine novice like me needs. I will leave the tappits though as A) I don't have any feeler gauges & B) Wouldn't really know what I'd be looking at or doing so don't want to bugger the engine after I've spent £800 odd quid getting the front suspension sorted, a bit of welding to get past the MOT and a replacement UJ. I'll have a go at the tappits when I have more confidence