Alarm/immobiliser problem

SPendrey

Hello,

I've a '95 Disco 300TDI Auto (no spider) that recently went swimming :blush:, since that episode we drove home after some miracle mechanical work. The car restarted to drive into the garage (after stopping to open the gates & door) but won't start at all. I turn the key but get nothing other than the glow plug relay. The central locking is not working either which makes me think the alarm is my problem? The battery is delivering 12V (12.4V to be precise).

So, I've tried the 'new born/reset' procedure (two actually, one from RAVE and another from the internet) but I can't get the alarm LED to illuminate. On both, the start condition is "doors unlocked", but my boot is jammed locked for some reason. Would it make sense that this is likely the culprit preventing the reset? I assume that's included in "doors unlocked"?

Is my best option to remove the rear door panel (break it basically, since the door is locked shut) and sort the lock first, or are there other ideas that might allow me to bypass the alarm? Understandably, if there are then a PM might be the best method to inform me :mellow:

Thanks,

Scott

The cental locking and alarm ecu is beneath the glove box, it has a coax plug and two other connectors. Have a look at it, it may still be swimming!

Yeah, I did have a look today, everything seems to be dry in there. I couldn't remove the ECU itself simply because it is a pig to unscrew!

Short update - after leaving the fan heater focused on the alarm ECU for a couple of hours, the car now cranks, but doesn't fire up. I suspect therefore it is water inside the ECU or relays causing the problem. Will continue to dry them for another day.

Well, after another day of drying, the car failed to crank again. So, I sourced a replacement ECU and now it starts fine!

However, the central locking only works on one of the rear doors. I've got a couple of eBay-sourced actuators coming to eliminate them, but I believe the problem to be wiring related as there's no voltage (temporarily) at the pink/orange cables when activating the locking. I suppose the driver's door actuator may be a problem, but if i press the bottom on it the 'working' door does lock.

So, now the question is this... RAVE shows there to be splices in the pink/orange cabling called S2007 and S2009 (see picture), and I think this is near the alarm ECU somewhere... can anyone confirm their location?

Thanks.

post-11857-0-00219100-1326815787_thumb.jpg

Here's the root cause of the problems I had. Fixes so far have included

• 3 new lock actuators, boot and rear doors
  • lots of carpet (and underlay) drying
  • a jubilee clip (that we dropped somewhere at the scene)
  • a replacement alarm/central locking module
  • an iPod (to replace the CD changer!)
  • and a replacement SRS/airbag ECU, although I still have the warning light on. Hoping this'll be fixed later this week at a garage who has a T4 system.

post-11857-0-06444300-1327482935_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I did have a look today, everything seems to be dry in there. I couldn't remove the ECU itself simply because it is a pig to unscrew!

When you say you couldn't remove the ECU you meant the alarm ECU?......I have a similar problem with my disco...but...wait for it...I unplug the alarm ECU..& the ECM & it starts & runs fine...Work that out!.....I don't have any speedo, central locking, & some of my interior lights aren't working. I am have changed the alarm ECU ..just the same. I am now waiting for an MFU (Multi function Unit) to come & hopefully that will be my miracle cure!

I unplugged the cable that goes to the transfer box for the speedo (No voltage, even turning the wheel)..voltage to the interior fusebox but none to the speedo connector on the dash....treble checked all fuses & they are fine. :blink:

to remove it you need an 8mm ring spanner and 9" long fingers :moglite:

Actually I managed to remove mine with a set of thumb sockets, these are a 2mm - 10mm socket set designed to be used just with fingers rather than a wrench. It was a person I'm not that keen on of a job as loktite had been applied to the screws! :angry2: Once out I carried out some rectification including water-proofing with a can of electronic sealing varnish!

Here's the root cause of the problems I had. Fixes so far have included

• 3 new lock actuators, boot and rear doors
  • lots of carpet (and underlay) drying
  • a jubilee clip (that we dropped somewhere at the scene)
  • a replacement alarm/central locking module
  • an iPod (to replace the CD changer!)
  • and a replacement SRS/airbag ECU, although I still have the warning light on. Hoping this'll be fixed later this week at a garage who has a T4 system.

May I give a few hints, having crossed several flooded rivers recently in the channel country north of Birdsville recently, most of which were up to the headlights.

1.) Carry a tarp and tie it over the bonnet and wrap it up into the front of the wheel arches.

2.) Seal every hole under the car, screw in the wading plugs.

3.) Use fabric duct tape around the doors up to the windows- yes you will need to climb in the open window!.

4.) Drive only fast enough to form a "bow wave" and once you have one -- dont stop !!! the wave pushes water away from the front of the vehicle

Yes, just replaced the alarm/central locking ECU with another off a 'donor' vehicle. Then retrained it using the method found online (hold the bonnet switch, ignition on/off etc. etc.). In fact, everything is back to normal now, normal meaning the ABS system is still dodgy as a £9 note. I've also got a new wobble I didn't have before, at about 3000rpm, but that's not going to stop me.

Yes, just replaced the alarm/central locking ECU with another off a 'donor' vehicle. Then retrained it using the method found online (hold the bonnet switch, ignition on/off etc. etc.). In fact, everything is back to normal now, normal meaning the ABS system is still dodgy as a £9 note. I've also got a new wobble I didn't have before, at about 3000rpm, but that's not going to stop me.

I replaced the alarm ECU but I still needed to short out pins 1 & 2 before it would start! (Earth to the starter motor) I still have no central locking & no speedo. I'll try the method that you used (tomorrow) & see what happens. I'll try the online method tomorrow & see what happens...I'll keep you posted.

I tried the bonnet switch method with no joy. Without using the keyfob I can set the alarm with the key in the drivers door & when I unlock it the using the same method it de-activates the alarm...surely that can't be right?

As for the central locking I can hear all the door actuators working but the one in the drivers door doesn't push or pull the actuator even though I can here it doing something. I removed the actuator completely & the only movement is manual I'm wondering if the spring has broken inside the actuator?. AND...Rave & Haynes show ONE pink/brown wire going from the internal fuse box directly to the actuator, mine has a manufacturers connector between the two with NINE wires going to the actuator!! From the chassis loom there is a Pink/Brown wire but it's not live & it doesn't have a mating half in the connector that goes to the actuator...

I've not even tried curing the speedo problem yet!

All ideas greatly received :blink: ..