Should I convert my series to a v8?

EFILandRover

I have been given the opportunity to convert my series to a v8. The v8 is a 3.5 out of a 78 range rover and I can get a 4 speed range rover manual for it. If I did convert it, could I bolt up a zf auto to the same gearbox mounts later on? Whats involved with getting it behind the grill, and will it have more power than my Holden 202 with EFI that has 109kw of power? Is the conversion worth it?

Cheers

You can get engine mounts no problem, http://www.engineconversions.co.uk/landrover.html do the engine mounts and other bits if needed.

Only problem is the gearbox mounts, if you go away from a series box you'll be looking at cutting the engine mounts off and welding on fabricated replacements, also the controls for the new box may not allign with the series transmission tunnel and you may find it tries to go through the seat box requiring that to be cut.

However, nothing is beyond being done, as long as you have the time and tools :)

Best to stick to LR Series Gearbox IMHO

Simpler mod, the RR 4 speed is HUGH and you don't have CVs in your front axle (RR 4 spd is full time 4wd series is as you know part time) Will also mean less major panel mods.

You can but Series to V8 adapter kits, which is just a nuts and bolts jobbie, plus a tweak on the end of the crank which is easy etc

Exhaust buy a jake Wright V8 system, fit and forget.

You will need to reduce the width of you Passenger fottwell, cut and reweld to give cleance for the V8 manifol etc, bit of a PITA job, as rest is simple, but easy if you have basic tools and fab / welding skills.

Rad will just about cope with a V8, as will everything else providing your sensible with your right foot, with 7.50s and an upgarde diff wise to 3.54s from a RR you'll be grinning away

DO IT, but forget the RR Box..

Nige

Maybe I should at this point mention that im going to run toyota axles front and rear on custom airbag suspension (so its not so tippy on steep sidelings). I am also in NZ so the buying engine mounts and exhaust isnt really an option. Besides, Id rather have the exaust exit behind the doors and a small muffler :D

I am going to fit a 109 stage 1 firewall as my current one is stuffed. Could I fit the engine in front of the bulkhead without cutting it? ie fit a slimk radiator and electric fans?

Maybe I should at this point mention that im going to run toyota axles front and rear on custom airbag suspension (so its not so tippy on steep sidelings). I am also in NZ so the buying engine mounts and exhaust isnt really an option. Besides, Id rather have the exaust exit behind the doors and a small muffler :D

I am going to fit a 109 stage 1 firewall as my current one is stuffed. Could I fit the engine in front of the bulkhead without cutting it? ie fit a slimk radiator and electric fans?

IIRC the Stage1 had the engine mounted a LONG way forward - with the aircleaner behind it - and on an LT95 (Range Rover 4 speed) gearbox. Hence the flat front grill design. I do not think that the bulkhead change will help a lot, if at all.

Chris

Just a bit of an update, I am going to do the swap. But.... I will wait a couple of months to do it. I need my rover going asap so I am going to coil it and run with the 202, but in a couple of months I am going to install the airbags and install the v8 :D

I just need to get assorted parts like... a ZF auto and transfer case and an LPG kit.

Also, would it be worth extending the wheelbase to 100"? I have a rangy chassis that I can cut the rear suspension mounts off as well