Jumping out of low box

Team Idris

I've got an odd question about the transfer box on the back of my ZF auto :)

I'm taking out the 1.22:1 LT230 transfer box because it jumps out of low box and replacing with another 1.22:1 which happened to be right next to the truck. (came free with engine) A bungee cord has held it in low since the auto went in a few years back, so it can't be megga bad, but the dog set looks okay.

I wondered what causes this, and therefore, is it worth keeping for spares?

You see, I've got a 1.6:1 in the shed, and it really comes down to; drag transfer box up many steps because it might be usefull one day, or; move it short distance to my van and into work's metal skip it goes!

Call it recycling/rubbish limitation :)

And my other question is about the oil. I see a lot of folks saying 80/90 oil, so I'm guessing EP90 like series, but neither 1.22:1 box smells like EP80/90 ? Am I missing somthing here on the oil type?

Thanks for saving my legs :)

Maybe someone put synthetic oil in the boxes? It does smell different.

Jumping out of low box sounds just like some levers need adjusting on the side of the box, I'd be surprised if wear in the box would make it jump out of low. Much easier to adjust than swap the box out I assure you :)

That'd be nice and I thought it might be? But wishfull thinking usually doesn't work on this truck, it just bounces off into open wallet teritory :glare:

But hey, it's a 1972 with some newer bits added, so I guess it's entitled ;)

So unfortunately not the lincage, which was bob-on. All looked good from underneath as well, but maybe it will look obvious on the bench. Even the detent sounds good, and it wasn't levering out of gear with a screwdriver.

It's always been sound on the 4wd so I might keep the nose assembly.....

Yep, kind of why I parted with £150 for it! It's not the sort of thing that turns up very often. :D

And that was kind of why the 1.22 went in tonight rather than the 1.6. For winch challenge it's a bit too 'useful' a ratio to just throw in without a full check over. And I understand the low cogs are all the same ratio?

Tempting to sell, but it is now my only spare ?

Old 1.2 has gone into the back of the van to be recyled. It's stinky, so the oil may have broken down, which is backed up by the gear faces 'look'. So it's posible gear twist is throwing it out of low box?

New-to-us one has the usual brown inside, but it wipes off okay, smells okay and has good looking teeth. Terry Winchman says the oil looks to be synthetic on both. We were intrigued that the 4wd has 3 detents for locked, open and really open? Either that or the ball was coming off the end of the shaft?

the low box ratio is all the same in the lt230 tbox's

however the high ratio is what changes,

i did have a 1.2 in mine & although i could use highbox with the 37's it needed the high ratio dropping, so for now ive fitted a 1.4 but if i could get a 1.6 id fit that instead