front series 3 half shaft stuck

smokeyone

Strange thing is one half shaft just slid out of the stub axle - no problem

stub axle 599826

but as for this one - if you hold the half shaft the stub axle rotates freely and even moves

a little along the halfshaft but only about a quarter inch and then it sticks - heavy thumps

do not budge it but have not tried really serious thumps.

Now half a a ring has appeared at the end near the splines, managed to get the bit out

but is there a broken bit still wedged inside ...

Right, if its a 109 V8 axle, it would have CV's, a bronze sleeve and an oil seal. If its post 1980 it will only have the oil seal, which may have had a steel case and rubber inner, as opposed to a fully rubber seal. Prior to 1980 there doesn't appear to have been a seal or a bush. You may have something foreign stuck in there, or it may just be a build up of rust. My IIa assembly took a bit of beating to strip the other week, but it came in the end.

The part number quoted is for swb stub axle up to 1980 according to lrseries so from what Mr Parrot has looked up it appears there should be nothing to prevent it coming off :blink: doesn't explain the bit of ring that fell out either ..... When it does finally come off would love to see a pic of what is stopping it from coming out :)

Just a point but series 1, 2 and some 2a if not all 2a had a bronze bush inside the stub axle that supported the halfshaft outer, series 3 88" up to 1980 had the same stub and shaft but no bush although the stub axle was still machined to take the bush and the outer half shaft still had the bearing surface machined. 109" were different parts and again no bush.

Will try and get back to my stub axle problem today (work keeps getting in the way) - suspect now that my half ring that came out was a broken bush - thanks for the info - my series 3 - 88" is a 1971 but who knows what's been changed over the years .

A very large hammer and lots of blows solved the problem. The bronze bush had broken into three parts inside the stub axle and was acting as a wedge. From what Old Hand says I do not need to replace it - also this was on one shaft only - no bush on the other side ......................thanks to all for the advice ...............