Steering/Steering Box Question

Good Evening chaps!

Looking for a little advice - basically the steering on my 90 has recently began to 'wander' and has generally lost any sharpness it did have.

Now, I have done a few searches and I have a fairly big list of things to check, but that'll have to wait until my shift finishes.

Tonight I did however have a quick look (always fun when it's dark and raining) and upon quick inspection it appears that the TREs, Panhard Rod bushes, ball joints and steering UJs are all satisfactory. Also, with the car stationary there is a lot of free play in the steering wheel - I would say roghly somewhere around 45 degrees! Which shockingly I hadn't noticed before, it seems a lot?

I did notice though when I had a poke about that the Steering Box shaft that connects to the bottom UJ has quite a bit of free play when turned by hand. Could this be that the Steering Box just needs adjusting via the nut/hex key on top? Or does it point towards the whole box being shafted?!

Any suggestions/thoughts most welcome!!!

one of the things you will have to do if possible is to get someone else to move the steering wheel from left to right whilst you're laid underneath the front of your 90, so that you can see if anything moves when they're turning the steering wheel,I had similar movement to you a few years ago and it turned out in my case that the bolt I'd used for the panhard rod was a slightly smaller diameter than what should've been used for the rod to the chassis bracket and the only way I found this out was by lying underneath it as described above

hth

John