How Low Can You Go?

geoffbeaumont

How reliable are Disco (300TDi) fuel guages?

Mine was coughing and spluttering and died on me twice at the top of the red today - was I running on fumes or had I just stirred up eleven years worth of **** from the bottom of the tank (my parents, who had it before me, live in the middle of nowhere so never let their vehicles run low)?

First time I've let it get into the red - bit of a nasty shock. Especially as it spluttered to a halt on the same roundabout the range rover died on when the timing gear went...I had visions of the same recovery man turning up... :blush:

The Haynes manual says that the tank capacity is 89lt, but the most I have put in is about 80lt of Diesel when the red light has been on and I had to drive 10 miles or so to get to a filling station.

If the capacities are right then I sill had 10lt (~2 gallon, so whats that about 50 miles) left. Although Im sure that it would be near on impossible to brim it with 89lt of diesel.

The light doesnt come on untill the needle is really towards the end of the red.

Maybe Imm weird or something, but I start to panic when the light comes on...

Nowadays I fill at the edge of the red giving about 75lt of fill.

Somewhere in the book it does say something about a certain amount of unusable fuel at the bottom of the tank (suppose it needs enough to cover the pickup!) and from memory this is 9 litres I think so if you are down to 80 it is probably close to suckin' dust...