series 3 front stub axle query

smokeyone

Following help with my half shaft problem I now have just a query on re-assembly - cleaned up stub axle - removed worn out bearing that was wedged on the stub axle......assume this was part of the bearing that should have been inside the hub assembly......looking through the manual & it mentions a spacer 599698 - it wasn't there when I took everything apart so has it just been missed off by accident - I'll order up a couple - also there is no oil seal at the back of the stub axle but I understand some people prefer to leave these out as it helps with the oil flow - do I have this correct ...

Thanks very much

599698 is the oil seal track that is a press fit on the stub axle. The oil seal inside the stub axle is a very late fitment in the stub axles that have integral seal track and both wheel bearings the same size.

... and is best removed to ensure good oil supply to the wheel bearings and drive flange splines.

Thank you both for the info. Right then so the 599698 ring does not apply to my series and I won't bother about the oil seal inside the stub axle as my model did not have it and it's best left out in any case. Any ideas why half the worn out bearing from the hub assembly was a pain to get off the stub axle - just one side - the other side just slid off by hand ........

. Any ideas why half the worn out bearing from the hub assembly was a pain to get off the stub axle - just one side - the other side just slid off by hand ........

Machining tolerances. A bearing that is at the top of the dimension tolerance sitting on a stub that is at the bottom of its size tolerance will be a slacker fit than a bottom size bearing on a top size stub. So the 1st could be a clearance fit and the other a drive fit, even though the parts are supposedly all the same.

simples.

Well no amount of thumping even with a crow bar either side would budge it........ended up cutting through the bearing carefully with a cutting disc - the bearing could have overheated as lots of the rollers were missing - mixed in with the grease that filled the brake drum............!!!