LPG Tank removal

barriesheene

Hi Guy's. I'm lugging a great ruddy steel tank around in the boot of my disco and I want to get shot of it. The lpg system doesnt work, never has since I've had it. I want to get rid of the tank as it is probably costing me a fortune lugging it around and i want the rear seats back in use. problem is the gauge on top of the tank says that there is gas in it. How can I take the tank out with gas in it ? Do I have to drain the tank ? If so how ? The nearest gas installer to me is miles away so i'd like to do it myself. Any help much appreciated :)

No need to drain it, but you will do yourself an injury, especially as the gas slops from side to side, managed to wrench my own back doing this, but it was only 1/3 full...

To drain, leave it somewhere open (no where near any drains), disconnect battery, and undo the outlet of the tank -there's normally either a small tap with a knurled top to it which you can just undo once you have removed the outlet pipe, or you have to remove the solenoid.

Vent it SLOWLY, leave for as long as possible :)

Awesome Bowie :) When you say remove the outlet pipe do you mean from the evaporator thingy in the engine bay or from where it enters the gubbings on top of the tank. I can see the gnurled tap ontop of the tank that must be the drain tap. Do I just vent it into the car then ??

Or do you mean that I can remove all the pipe work and remove the tank from the car before venting the tank on it's own. Sorry for sounding thick but I'm abit confused lol. If I remove the pipe work from the tank wont the gas escape or is there some kind of safety device on the tank ?

No need to drain it, but you will do yourself an injury, especially as the gas slops from side to side, managed to wrench my own back doing this, but it was only 1/3 full...

To drain, leave it somewhere open (no where near any drains), disconnect battery, and undo the outlet of the tank -there's normally either a small tap with a knurled top to it which you can just undo once you have removed the outlet pipe, or you have to remove the solenoid.

Vent it SLOWLY, leave for as long as possible :)

And dont smoke :blink:

The best place for the LPG is in the tank. Propane is nasty stuff and is a huge fire risk. It's heavier than air so spreads out at ground level all around you. If it finds a source of ignition then the whole area goes up in a fireball.

You should be able to disconnect the pipework from the tank without any gas other than the gas in the pipes escaping. I used an engine crane and a couple of lifting straps to lift the tank out of mine.

Awesome, Thanks guys. :wub: . I was worried about disconnecting the pipes with pressurized gas in them. I think I'll go somewhere out of the way to disconnect them tho anyways just in case. Is the tank really that heavy ? It must be like carting around another engine in the back of your truck especially when full. Thanks for all the advise. I'll let you all know how i get on.

Don't even think of just venting it to the atmosphere as stated it is heavier than air and will sink to the lowest point and remain there until some poor sod happens to ignite it. I believe it is also illegal but I know it is stupid and dangerous. Why not get some one to look at why the system doesn't work and repair it they aren't rocket science and if working will cut your fuel bill so carrying that heavy load is worth while.

Don't even think of just venting it to the atmosphere as stated it is heavier than air and will sink to the lowest point and remain there until some poor sod happens to ignite it. I believe it is also illegal but I know it is stupid and dangerous. Why not get some one to look at why the system doesn't work and repair it they aren't rocket science and if working will cut your fuel bill so carrying that heavy load is worth while.

I hear what your saying but to me they are rocket science. I've got a gas system on my p38 as well and thats not working properly either. The disco isnt used every day and my nearest gas installer is miles away. At the mo I need to save fuel not spend more money trying to save fuel. I may get the torpeado style tanks fitted at a later date.