zesus disc kit have you fitted one?

Marc

:blink: I am thinking of fitting a disc conversion kit to my series II landy, but am unsure which type to use either the TI kit or the Zesus kit. I would pos perfer to use the TI kit as the spares should be around a long time but have heard go and bad about this kit, but very little of the Zesus kit?. Im also thinking of making my own kit if I could source the right type of disc to adapt.

Neither of them are particularly nice kits. The TI one uses sliding calipers! I mean would you really want sliding calipers on a landy??

The Zeus one uses custom calipers but will only fit with 16" rims and requires you to also use their extended wheel studs which are expensive!

I believe rocky mountain are now doing a conversion kit which looked quite nice when I saw it at a show last year.

You can make your own (Tonk and I did) but it requires either a custom disk, or one off of something else modifying to suit. All in all alot of machining.

The rear end is easy however and almost bolt on using landrover parts so dont get suckered in to buying a rear end kit! Its the fronts thats hard.....

Jon

The rear end is easy however and almost bolt on using landrover parts so dont get suckered in to buying a rear end kit! Its the fronts thats hard.....

Jon (or anyone else), can you give more details about what parts and where to source them, to use on the back?

I know you and Tonk have some posts about disc brakes, but if I remember correctly, they discussed more the front than the rear.

I sourced some parts from a Santana series (almost everything from the front axle, really :rolleyes: ), got a brake pedal assembly with servo and dual line master cyl (also from Santana... I hope it fits under the bonnet) and, finally, an air container (Santana 6cyl, I believe).

I was thinking on getting 109's front drums to fit in the back of my 88, but if discs on the back are easy to install, I would prefer to go that way. Since I still had to source the parts for the 109's drums, it would be best to get discs instead :D

Edit after some search :ph34r:

I found the threads on this forum and on landroveraddict forum, but you say that "Half shaft wise you need to use late 24spline shafts". Mine is 10, and will stay that way for some time, so can I still use RR/90/110 parts for the back?

you need to change to late series rear h/shafts which are 10 spline at diff end and 24 spline at wheel end so the splines will match up to defender drive flanges which bolt to the hubs, you have to use these cos rangie hubs are 5 bolt and series is 6 bolt.

the zues kit is a 4 pot caliper, non sliding, which is superior to the TI kit imo, as Jon says though, its expensive and will only fit inside 16" rims, london taxi's have this caliper on and afaik it uses a jag brake pad.

aiy, while TI Console is NOT a bolt-on kit, expect lots of angle grinding and mis-allignment of callipers et cetera, oh and the price of pads from them as follows:

This is the Girling type. I have the pads in stock.

one set is Eur 77,35 incl VAT P&P is Eur 15,-

thanks to both for the infos!

"late series" means since when? 82/83? is there anything else I should be aware of, when finding the parts?

if I understood correctly, using everything (drive flanges, hubs, discs, calipers, brackets, etc) from a 90 or 110 will mean that it will really be a bolt-on job, without the need to drill larger holes or reduce the thickness of the caliper carrier brackets. is this correct? :unsure:

82/83 should have the correct shafts, 24 spline outers.

you need to use the caliper mounting bracket from a disc braked salisbury axle off a 110, this bracket has to be machined slightly (about 3mm iirc) to align the caliper central to the disc.

My conversion follows a similar route to Tonk and Jon.

I used a different caliper again but not sliding, it works well but you have to change the servo, I used a 90 one, just fits in the lightweight, the pedal box I have is also a 90 one.

Strangely the master cylinder is OK, I kept mine as it was new.

As Tonk says a bit of machining to do the fronts, both disc and hub, but not excesive if you have access to a lathe and preferably a mill as well.

I made a mock up in plywood first, especially the caliper brackets easy to cut and throw away if wrong.

I used 10mm plate to make the bracket in the end.

Good luck