glow plug query

Hi,My defender has a diahatsu engine and recently the glow plugs needed replacing,been fitted for 6 years,just routine maintenance.I quoted the ref no. off the old plugs and bought ngk they looked the same.Fitted and everything was fine for 3 days,now they have stopped working.I took them out and tried them out tested them on an old battery...nothing.The only thing I can think is either there duds or because they are wired direct to the ignition,this has damaged them,but as this system has in the past worked I'm sceptical about that.Any ideas?

when you say wired to ignition do you mean wired that when ignition on there on so always on when driving ? that would burn them out need to be on a timed relay or wired that they go off when she starts,

generally glow plugs are pretty simple live and earth and they heat up, are you sure they have failed ? if they have failed that quick must be duds or getting burnt out by being on to long

They go off when the engine starts,you have to hold the key to activate them.I have had the last set in for 6 years so expected them to work fine.I tried a continuaty test which showed nothing,so connected them to a battery just to make sure still nothing.It must be a problem with the plugs just seems odd all 4 stopped working after only 3 days.The only thing I have done that could have made a difference is add a twin battery system to run the winch but I'm not getting any problems with anything else and that was a couple of months ago.

Just a quicky on the glow plug subject....I've just removed mine (and all in 1 peice).....Checked them for working and all 4 good!

But one of the glow plugs was black with soot form tip to threads...other 3 pretty clean really, any ideas as to why this has happened on one, anything to worry about, can it be sorted?

Cheers Mutley