300tdi electrical problem

davyd8899

right so i finally got the disco running no smoke all was good!!!

then..............................................

tacho/rev counter has stopped working, there is no charge going to the battery and when turning on the ignition there is no power to the glow plugs

have pulled all the fuses, under the dash and under the bonnet, checked the big alternator fuse all seem as the should.

have checked earths and seem to be making a good contact

the battery light is NOT illuminating to announce there is no charge going to the battery, also with the ignition on with the engine not running it still dosnt light up.

completly lost as to know what to try next so any ideas would be greatly appritiated!!!

lamp always worked before, when the tacho stopped working so did the lamp and the glowplugs so kinda guessing its all linked somehow??

surely bushes would go on alternator first??

yes tacho is alternator fed, its kicking out 14.9v but not to the battery or the tacho???

checked all terminals, the seem fine

really lost as to know what to try next :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

there is a bulletin on that kind of behaviour for 300tdi in Autodata(it's copy/paste protected)... they say "poor connections inside the engine bay fusebox -> remove fusebox inner and outer cover - check battery positive lead screw and alternator output lead screw"

If u are already there check all plugs and connections.

finally located the problem, alternator was givig intermittent charge and wasnt sending any power to the tacho and not earthing properly which was causing the lamp not to be illuminated.

new alternator and now all is well!!

I'm having a similar problem with my disco.....the needles on the dash won't illuminate & the speedo doesn't work. I have checked the sensor on the transfer box & there's no voltyage going to the speedo sensor....

I'm having a similar problem with my disco.....the needles on the dash won't illuminate & the speedo doesn't work. I have checked the sensor on the transfer box & there's no voltyage going to the speedo sensor....

Hi, just to be sure - the dashboard clocks dont illuminate? That's not alternator related. Speedo not working? Also not alternator related.

There are some big multiplugs going into the back of the instument console, you need to check they are still connected to begin with, then test or change the bulbs in the console. Also check the multiplug in the drivers footwell that sends the signal from the gearbox sensor.

After that check continuity of the speedo sensor cable etc. Could all be related or be two completely different faults, i.e. blown bulb and knackerd sensor.

Neither of your problems are alternator related so look on the bright side :)

Stu.

The story so far! I replaced the alarm ECU & Key fob...The speedo & central locking still don't work. There's no voltage getting to the speed sensor on the transfer box. Also there's a limited voltage getting to the central locking. I'll try it again tomorrow, I'm suspecting an earth problem somewhere.

When I changed the alarm ECU I had to short out pins 1 & 2 on the white connector (this connects the starter earth) the vehicle will not fire up without this connection even with the ECU changed!....Any ideas?