Tow bar and seat location

BFRieck

Hello all, newbie here with two Series III questions. I would like to install a tow bar to flat tow the 109. Obviously, the tow bar has up and down flexibility - nevertheless, I assume that the tow bar should be fairly level when both vehicles (tow and towed) are on flat ground, no? Other than considerations of what is safe under the conditions, is there any reason not to tow the LR at highway speeds - I realize the LR's top speed is about 62 mph. Can I safely tow it at say, 70 or 75? (By "safely" I mean will it hurt the vehicle?)

Second question involves the driver's seat location. Adjusted to the rear as far as possible, the driver's seat is still too close to the pedals, steering wheel, etc. for my taste. I'm only 5'10" so I know it will be even worse for my 6'3" son. Has a mod been developed to gain more legroom?

Not sure about the law in the US (I believe it may even vary from state to state), but here in the UK any "trailer" weighing more than 750Kg has to have an approved overrun braking-system or other mechanism for applying the brakes on the 'trailer'.

I can't see any reason for the transmission of the towed LR to suffer damage - just put all the levers in neutral and (if you have them) set freewheel front-hubs to 'free'.

But do check out the legal situation!! There may be a US-equivalent to the NTTA: http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/ - that can give advice.

--Tanuki.

Thanks, I'll check out the US requirements, but I don't think we have them here in Texas (it would be state by state). It may be that certain, particularly heavy, trailers are required to have so-called "panic" brakes which, should the trailer come loose from the towing vehicle, fully apply the trailer brakes but there are certainly a lot of trailers on the road that do not have them. I've been stopped for trailer violations before, but only because I lacked (or I was unaware of their failure) proper lighting. Never been asked about the brakes - either their existence or whether they were working. Lighting will be somewhat problematic since the LR has a 24v system. Most folks just use the independent, magnetically attached subsets - obviously, if I go that route, I'll have to find someway to mount them since they won't stick to the aluminum bodywork.

Assuming non-free wheeling hubs, is the optimal situation having the transmission in neutral and the transfer box in high per the severn valley leafers link? What is going on in that situation? When the tranny is in neutral, what part of the box is turning? Is everything that is turning being lubricated? If not, how much does it matter? It sounds like flat towing a Series is not all that unusual so there must be some configuration that doesn't do much, if any, damage, no?

Well, where am I? Is there ANY safe way, other than FWH's, to flat tow my Series III (no overdrive on mine)? Well, thinking about it, I suppose disconnecting the propshafts at the axles will work unless that somehow messes up something in the axles although I can't think, offhand, what that might be. Obviously, crawling under the truck at the beginning and end of each tow is a little bit of a nuisance, but better than ruining something.

I'm not an RV'er, so I won't be dragging it with one of those. I'll drag it down the highway to and from offroad excursions fairly often; at least twice a month on average. It could go a couple of hundred miles each time. I'll do it often enough that taking it apart (i.e., disconnecting the propshafts or the like) would be pretty inconvenient, especially if the weather wasn't good. I've been using a trailer which is inconvenient enough in that it involves setting and adjusting the ramps, tying the LR down, etc. - plus the trailer rig is a little heavy (tongue weight) for the towing vehicle. I also think the towing vehicle's fuel consumption would be a little less if I wasn't dragging the trailer in addition to the LR, especially since the added height (+/- 18") increases the wind resistance.

Whilst I’m not qualified to comment on the effects towing will have on a series transmission* (although the Severn Valley leafer’s link seemed the most sensible, IMHO). With respect to other members on here, given that you received conflicting advice, perhaps a call to Ashcroft transmissions in the UK would give you confidence, given you’d get some answers from a transmissions expert…

Seems that perhaps the best solution would be getting a good trailer setup. A proper, dual (or even tri-) axle car transporter trailer should not impose too much tongue (nose in the UK) weight on a vehicle rated to tow it. Having a good trailer setup also has the advantage that you can get the truck home, should you have some kind of breakdown that makes the vehicle un-towable (bust a diff, steering borked, whatever). Obviously that would not be a cheap solution. A trailer built for the purpose should also not require adjusting of ramps and the like, and with practise and proper tie-down straps you should be able to get the loading down to <5 minutes…ultimate ‘luxury’ is one of those hydraulic tilt-bed trailers which don’t need ramps at all. I’ve hired one in the past and it was really easy to load a car which was basically otherwise immovable (‘barn find’, brakes seized on, tyres flat, etc).

1392.39608.largeImg.eng.jpg

Just my $0.02

I think you're probably right about the trailer. The pictures you posted are certainly of a nice one. I've also seen a trailer that lowers the deck until it is flat on the ground (not the expensive hydraulic cylinder operated type, but one that uses a simple boat type cable winch. I have a massive tilt bed trailer used for hauling a bulldozer that is hinged. One leaves the trailer hooked to the tow vehicle, releases a pin and, as the vehicle backs off and the weight shifts, the bed of the trailer tilts such that the rear contacts the ground. To load is the reverse (trailer deck is weighted such that, empty, it will remain tilted). It's pretty scary with the 'dozer since the trailer deck is above the wheels - shouldn't be too hard to build a similar design with the wheels outboard of the deck making the tilt much less steep.