Hiclone in a 200tdi - does it do anything?

Intercooler is one thing, to get the benefit you really need to tweak the fuelling at which point it may become less of a brilliant idea if you're working it hard or using poor fuel.

I'm by no means saying modifications are bad, just that most people are very quick to assume the only reason for anything being as it is on their car is that the "better" version was blocked by the accounting department. Sometimes if you stop and look for other possibilities you can learn something.

When i spoke to Brunel a few years back about fitting intercoolers, they said that a lot of the overland guys wouldnt fit the large intercoolers that sat in front of the rad as they would impede radiator air flow and could affect cooling. For that reason, Brunel reccomended an uprated standard size cooler - i had no reason to disbeleive them as they could have sold me the larger (and more expensive) front mounted intercooler. Just a thought.

(Allisport just reccomended the front mounted one - i'm always inclined to go with a seller/manufacturer that is willing to reccomend a cheaper product if they think it is the best thing for you rather than just reccomend the most expensive thing they sell).

In petrol engines the reserved mapping is partly related to poor fuelling because of knock. For diesels this isnt an issue and the main reason for conservative mapping is engine longetivity and emissions.

The peak in cylinder pressures in a diesel engine are up 50% or more higher than a petrol and there is nothing that can be done to contain this pressure (cheaply anyway). The injection in a diesel is actually spread out into a number of smaller injections (which is woeful for efficiency) to limit this peak pressure and extended the life of the engine to levels expected of modern engines. If you get your diesel remapped, with no other modifications, you are increasing the peak pressure and compromising the life of the engine.

You will also be increasing your NOx emissions from the increased cylinder temperatures, something JLR could never do for mass production.

The issue with poor quality diesel, in the short term such as a jaunt to africa, is grit and dirt in it - diesel injector are many magnitudes finer than petrol ones. So get a funnel with a very fine filter in it to pour fuel into your tank - how fine a filter is purely related to how much patience you have ;)

Long term, moisture content will kill your engine

Yes, because gravity fed filters that are fine enough are things you will find at every store.....

Putting a 2 micron final filter in is the best thing you can do for injector life.

Problem with the 2 micron filter is if the fuel is particularly mucky it will block. Blocked funnel vs blocked fuel lines - I don't think that needs any explanation.