Anyone heard of/entered the Arctic 4x4 Trophy, Russia?

Pastycrimper

Just been speaking to a crazy Swedish bloke who's on the ship I'm working on. He is a Merc G enthusiast and has just showed me pictures of his time in the Arctic 4x4 trophy which is in the Murmansk area. http://www.at4x4.ru/eng.shtml

It sounded pretty crazy, but I was planning a little tour through Norway Seden and FInland and this chap said I may as well do the 10 dya Arctic challenge!! Just wondering if anyine knows anything about this?

I've heard of it when doing Ladoga Trophy, as I understood it is more about an expedition than an all-out competition. So it should be good fun and a great experience, go for it if you have the chance! I'll see if I can find some more info.

Filip

I've heard of it when doing Ladoga Trophy, as I understood it is more about an expedition than an all-out competition. So it should be good fun and a great experience, go for it if you have the chance! I'll see if I can find some more info.

Filip

Thats exactly the impression I got from the Swedish guy. He said they just took it easy and did each day as a stage at their own leisure which seriously appealed to me. It sounded fun in all counts......he said the evening campfires were just as adventurous as the daytime driving. I would imagine the Russian entrants probably have some quite mad vehicles.

Yeah some nice pics......there's also a link to some route maps which I was trying to correlate to Google maps - it would be an epic region to cruise!

Not sure if I have done the maths right but I make 1 ruble to equal £0.02 i.e 2 pence. I've looked at various diesel price sites (e.g http://www.bakutoday.net/price-of-petroleum-products-in-the-murmansk-region.html) and the price per litre is normally less than 1 ruble!!! Lets say it is 1 ruble per litre on the safe side......by my reckoning that means its 2p/litre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Surely not tell me I've got this wrong. Crikey if I do go I'll by a 400 litre tank and strap it to my roofrack before my return!!!!

Just don't buy fuel at stations here you can hear the banjo music, it's likely to contain free gifts. We generally rate station by the octane available - if they sell 98 and have a selection of weapons-grade energy drinks then it's happy days. If they sell 62 octane and vodka in 5gal cans then roll on to the next one!

Always worth sticking a pin in OziExplorer when passing a station so you know where they are if things get tight.