Needle Roller Bearings Running On Machined Surface ?

zim

Morning,

I would like to know what the engineering people's opinion are of this please.

If i were to get a needle roller bearing without inner race, such as :

Excavator-Needle-Roller-Bearings-Ba205-1-.jpg

Would it be ok for me to machine a shaft to the required OD to run this bearing on ?

What material would be adviseable to use ? Would it be better to be stainless compared to mild ?

If so, will it be ok to weld a stainless collar to the outside of my mild steel shaft ? I'm assuming so if we got the right tig rods (I'm not the welder, my co-driver James is, but i'm away at the moment).

Cheers

Gordon

I have experience the other way round. On my racer I use nylon skiffy bushes on the wishbones. Every inner pin I've used has worn after a couple of races. I've used mild steel, ali and stainless pins.

A couple of years ago someone suggested turning the pins down and pushing on needle bearing inner races. This has been very successful, they don't wear at all.

So whilst I'm no engineer my conclusion would be that not using the inner race is likely to cause wear. Can you turn your shaft down a little more and push an inner race on?

If at all possible I'd use the complete bearing assembly with an inner race. If its carrying substatial load you'd need to use an appropraite steel, have it nitrided, and then grind to size. If you're not carrying massive amounts of load, then I'd use an En24 steel, which is damn tough!

SKF is your best friend in these situations, they have an absolute wealth of knowledge on their site. There is a piece on these bearing on there, what tolerences, finishes hardness etc

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/products?maincatalogue=1〈=en&newlink=1_5_0

Generally I would go with an EN24 steel and harden it slightly more than the bearing - Im assuming you would rather the bearing wears rather than the shaft ? Lower content steels cannot be simply heat hardened so do make sure its en24 you buy and then simply google the temps required.

One last thing, don't forget a very gentle chamfer on the shaft to fit the bearings say 30 degrees, needle bearings will be damaged without one.