To Tube Or Not To Tube

stuck

Gent's,

On an off road only truck running tyres at a minimum pressure of 12 psi are there any advantages if you use inner tubes?

Rims are reversed Disco steels shod with 265 / 75 R16 Malatesta Kaimans.

Thanks,

Mick.

If you are not using beadlocks then yes. The tubes will work a bit like a primitive beaqdlock (up to a point). I tried running tubeless tyres are low pressure in my first event and knocked 3 tyres off the outer bead and one clean off both beads. I then fitted tubes which worked well for a couple of years but you need to be aware that the tyres can spin faster than the tubes and will pull the valves inside the rim. This never happened to me although all the valves were at a funny angle! Finally lost a bead with the tube on the rear and could not finish the event since the tube was destroyed (Without tubes you can at least reseat the tyre and inflate)) so now have weld on beadlocks AND tubes!

I always run tubes for off roading, make sure they are a good quality one (michelin airstop or dunlop) a 900x16 size works well in your tyre size to hinder beads popping off.

carry a spare too.

Will.

I HATE tubes. They rub through from friction against the tire, valve stems can be ripped out at low pressures.... I would never ever ever ever use tubes again.

I run 255'85 KM2's on 7J rims at 14psi. I NEVER had a problem. Never had sand or dirt or whatever between the rim and tire causing a slow leak. I never ever popped a bead, and I love to do rockcrawling with it so the tires do get some pretty severe punishment.

My next tires will be 37-12.5-17 on 8J rims. No beadlocks... And I don't expect any issues.

Get some narrow rims and don't use tubes would be my advice.

I never use tubes though I don't run pressures that low - usually only down to about 20psi.

I hate tubes, if you get a flat on the road they go down immediately (unless it's a big hole, a nail or screw or key or bolt or any number of other things I've collected in tyres over the years usually only deflate over several days) and usually wreck the tyre. I've never had any issues with tyres popping off the rim nor dirt in the bead (actually, bead leaking just once, I think).

ATV tyres have about 2psi in them and are tubeless, they don't pop off :)