intercooler blockage

davyd8899

disco 300tdi

this started when i (very stupidly) left a plastic bung in the oil drain pipe from the turbo, of courae it forced oil past the seals and straight into the outlet manifold and through the intercooler!!

anyways turbo seems to be ok (phew!!) however every now and then there is a noticable drop in power and an oil burning smell.

suspecting it was the remains of the oil i wasnt too worried but decided to take the top hose off the inlet manifold and sweet jesus is it clogged up!!

so guessing if the manifold is in that state then so is the intercooler!!

so my question is, whats the best way to flush/clean the intercooler?? or could it be that its so dirty its best to get a new one??

any ideas greatly recieved

I remove the cooler and pour petrol in, swill it about and pour it out. do this about twice then 1/2 fill it and leave to soak and swill and pour, use a naked flame at arms length to ignite any vapours left in the cooler (you should hear the pinking a tdi does when this step is not taken!) and then re fit.

Will.

Just use a quality de-greaser, pour it in neat and give it a good shaking with the openings plugged with rags, petrol explosions can be fatal, following the degreasing use a 10% strength bleach to give it a final clean and following this rinse out with VERY hot water and leave to dry, if you're in a hurry use your brides hair dryer to remove the last traces of water vapour.