RRC auto issue

denviks

morning all. i have just bought a 91 classic 3.9 auto and love it to bits already., i bought it to replace my rusting discovery as its just gone too far now.

anyway i ran a search and came up empty handed. my auto box has an issue which i dont understand to be honest. here goes

in the morning after first start you can engage D or any other gear and nothing happens., you have to leave it there for a good few mins and eventully you will get the clunk to give you drive. .....that very first start of the day will only give you 1st gear aswell for a while unless you sit and wait for quite some time.

after its moved up the box the first time it seems fine for the rest of the day.

unless you stop for more than 20 mins with the engine turned off. then you have to put it in drive and wait all over again.

does anyone have any idea's..... it seems the last owner changed the oil as its spotless.

Tend to agree with Cynic-al, Ashcrofts posted on this subject 2 or 3 years ago. Seems that despite the recomendations for periodic fluid & filter changes (not the easiest of jobs as it's said that the cross-member has to be removed) there are documented cases of problems afterwards.

massive thanks guys.... think a call to ashcrofts may be in order. having been browsing through the forum i reakon i will do a filter change anyway, cant hurt can it. by the looks of it , it has not been done in a while. i can see it has had an oil change but looks like nothing else has been touched.

EDIT

just been browsing the ashcrofts website and found this

When I start my Automatic Range Rover in the mornings it takes a while to engage drive, it has not always done this. This has become worse in the cold weather. Why?

It sounds like you need to change the filter! In the cold weather, i.e when the oil is cold and more viscous, if the filter is partially blocked it will take some time for the pump to draw oil through it. Once the oil becomes warm it flows more freely and can pass through the filter more easily. Hence the problem only occurs when the oil is cold. To remedy this problem your filter needs to be changed. This should be done sooner rather later to reduce the possibility of damage to the autobox, by the clutches 'slipping' during this slow engagement.