Oversize helicoils?

muddy

I have today been given a peice of cricket equipment that fires balls at idiots players.

Its a cast ali base where some legs go in with adjuster knobs, these knobs adjust on M10 threads which have been helicoiled already, both helicoils have come out.

I think i can get away with putting a new helicoil in one but the other has stripped the ally thread (outer of the helicoil) so can i get a helicoil kit for helicoiled holes? :wacko:

Going up to M12 will be difficult as whilst there is the meat in the ally casing i would have to work out how to up the thread on the adjuster knob and drill out another part of the machine.

Can you buy a sleave adaptor type thing(lathes currently not wired in)? 12mm OD tube 10mm ID with external and internal threads (just reading that rules it out looking at wall thickness :rolleyes: )

Any ideas appreciated. I have another idea with a nut welded into a ring spanner but thats going to look a bit ;)

Thanks will.

(sorry if considered OT although it did arrive in a landrover and is sat between some lr wheels and tyres and a sankey based log splitter)

When I was working in a motorcycle workshop Wurth had something called time serts.

They were a threaded cyclinder with a lip.

It meant you could drill out the old hole, with a shoulder for the lip, cut a thread in and screw in the time sert restoring the old thread size.

They were very strong, but needed more special tools than helicoils.

But could do the job for you.

There are some kits on ebay or you could see if a local engineering shop could fit one for you.

Gordon

I used bigserts on my tdi200 head - the rocker cover retainers had stripped the threads and the helicoils also stripped. Snapped rocker shafts for fun!

I did a writeup on the the Irish forum, you may need to register I think.

http://www.4xforum.net/index.php?topic=652.0

It's a good repair.

G.

Thanks for the info, some interesting reading.

An M10x1.25 twinsert kit is 82.50 + vat (good job i was sat down)

So i made my own from an M16 bolt, better really as i left the head on and made a slim nut to clamp either side on the ally casting and the threads are now steel on steel so should last long enough as it gets adjusted quite alot apparantly.

Will.