Bending galv pipe

BogMonster

How easy is it to bend galvanised pipe?

Nothing to do with Land Rovers but I need to make some "modifications" to the A frame on my boat, as I can't fit the auxiliary engine with it in the way.

I have only ever tried working with galv once before to make a "heavy duty" set of motorbike handlebars and it worked OK or so I thought - till they snapped on a heavy landing and I got a face full of speedo :blink: so I assume it's fairly brittle....

Would you/could you use a normal tube bender? the A frame on there is made of 1.5" (approx - haven't measured it) galvanised pipe and basically I need to put an extra "wiggle" in each side to make it wider to clear the engine.

Any thoughts on this would be gratefully received - the option is to buy a shiny bling 316 stainless one but it'll be 3 months coming and probably cost the thick end of a grand :o stainless boat things are stupidly expensive :unsure:

galvanising is only the finish which is applied after all fabrications are done, (a zinc applied coating - dipped) only thing it would think it affects would be if it got scratched - small hurdle i know but once the galvanised coating gets damaged it will allow the elements to get in ie saltwater and spped up corrosion which the galvanising is trying to prevent.

should be ok though

How easy is it to bend galvanised pipe?

I'm not quite clear if you're worried about damaging the galv, or thinking that it'll be harder to bend because it's galvanised...?

It won't be harder to bend, well nothing you're gonna notice on the other end of a hydro ram (I guess you already know this).

Use plenty of grease on the rollers/dies and I guess it shouldn't be scraped at all? The paint isn't really damaged on tube by my bender, I guess galv is about as robust as that.

Make sure there's a nice smooth finish on the bender bits - no nicks etc, whack some grease on, and off you go I guess. :huh:

Al.

:)

I would guess it is more a question of know what the material under the galvanising is. The glav won't change it, but you need to make sure you are using the right grade steel to start with.

Mark

I would guess it is more a question of know what the material under the galvanising is. The glav won't change it, but you need to make sure you are using the right grade steel to start with.

Mark

Yes I suppose so - the smaller diameter galv pipe I used on the bike just seemed very brittle - it snapped suddenly and very cleanly, so I wondered if this was a by product of being heavily galvanised - though I guess probably not then?

I have no idea what the existing A frame is made of as far as steel quality is concerned but I am hoping to be able to modify it without welding or damaging the galvanising because the blunt end of a boat has a lot of salt water around it and there is a "slight corrosion issue" :unsure:

Otherwise it'll be in the skip as I ain't paying a grand for a stainless one! The problem with that idea is that there is then nowhere to put nav lights or the VHF aerial...

If I could get hold of 12 feet of 2 inch 316 stainless and if I could weld stainless I could make my own but I can't and I can't.

I don't have a tube bender either, I was just wondering whether it was worthwhile trying to find one or whether it would be a waste of time as the galv pipe would just snap... not sure how the bends in the original one were done, it might have been heated.

B_B_C come here... :angry:

<smack>

now go away :D

Sorry stephen ………. Its been a hard day :rolleyes: ………Time to try and be sensible ……….. :D

OK a ‘hoop’ looks the biz .. especially in SS. B)

But it doesn’t have to be a bent hoop …….. 2 angled uprights with a cross piece will do the job ……… round is ideal but the cross piece could be square section ?

Got any food processing type places down there ? they will have 90’s and straight sections of SS pipe...........wont be 316 though …….. and it will be bigger then 50mm..........but it will do the job. ;)

Ian

Good idea :)

I will have to do some measurements on the weekend anyway, in the short term I think the A frame is going to meet Mr Grinder to leave a mast for the VHF aerial on the stbd side leaving the port side clear for the engine, then I can worry about what to do next but northernchris will get a PM in due course I think :)